PDA

View Full Version : Keeping worms for tiger

kfar
14th May 2012, 17:50
How long do you usually keep night crawlers/ red wigglers in the refrigerator and how do you keep them? I am just wondering. I've kept some for about 3 weeks, but they are hard to find around here and I was thinking about getting a couple of containers at one time.

Jan
14th May 2012, 18:31
Here is a recent thread on the topic with good discussion:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-advanced-newt-salamander-topics/f11-food-live-frozen-freeze-dried-pellets-etc/f17-earthworms-nightcrawlers-etc/81114-keeping-worms-fridge-secret.html

nwmnnaturalist
14th May 2012, 19:05
I started my own mini 'worm farm' in a 6 gallon plastic tote that has had 'trout worms' living in it for over 3 months. I used a mix of commercial worm bedding, composted manure and garden soil (organic varieties from garden/yard supply stores). I sometimes throw in some green, clean kitchen scraps for a treat. I keep it in my basement, where it remains about 55-62F in the tote (thanks to a concrete floor). It seems the larger the amount of soil, the cooler it stays. I bought 3 tubs of 'trout worms' at Wal-mart 3 months ago, and I have a thriving population in the tote and there are new ones every day.