Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrite levels

wian

Reaction score
My nitrite levels are very high. Ammonia and nitrate are 0. What do I do to get nitrite down?

Spudss

Reaction score
Your ammonia level probably isnt 0 if your nitrite is very high...

What are you using to test your water? I find the stips are very inaccurate. Liquid test kits are pretty good but you need to give the bottle a good shake before using it.

Is it a new tank? During the cycling process Nitrites tend to Spike (Rise very high).

Water changes will reduce those levels... Test your water daily and keep doing water changes if your levels are still high.

If your water is very bad its best not to start with a massive water change, too much fresh water can shock them if they are living in bad conditions.. start with 30-40% and every day increase it a little bit... after a week you should be doing 70% if the levels are still high.

what exatly are your nitrite readings?

wian

Reaction score
Ammonia is 0 ( yellow) using the liquid test. Did shake it very well before using it. Done water changes for 2 day of about 30% each time but no diffrence. Then I got all the sand out and done a 100% water change. Test it that day all clean. Test day after, all clean test it 2 days later, nitrite high again and little bit of nitrate (second bar on chart) . No food had gone in yet and no poop laying around. What do I do?

DavidF

Reaction score
Firstly, nitrite is good. Well, it means your tank is cycling and on its way.

My suggestion:

1) Do 30% water changes daily until the problem subsides. Treat the incoming tap water with water aging drops.

2) stop adding to the problem. No more food for a few days, syphon tank bottom to clean old food, poo, etc

3) post your nitrite reading. You say high but we can't tell. Test it each day or two. Keep a record. In fact, do this for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph daily and keep records until the tank is cycled or at least under control.

4) post details of your set up. Tank size, plants, number and type of fish, filtration system, substrate, etc.

And most of all, good luck. We've all been there. Tank cycling was stressful for me too.

wian

Reaction score
i would love to stop feeding for a few days but i gott a really skiny axolotl who im trying to buff up and when i say high i mean the second highest level on the chart!!!!!!!!!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i would love to stop feeding for a few days but i gott a really skiny axolotl who im trying to buff up and when i say high i mean the second highest level on the chart!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest moving the axolotls out of the tank and into a plastic tubs/buckets, until you can get to the root of your problems with these skyrocketing nitrite levels in the tank.

In your other thread, you mention that one of your axolotls is shriveling in the tail region. This is a likely result of the nitrite spiking to deadly levels.

Every time you throw food into the tank for the axolotls, you are undoing the work of the partial water change which was to bring those toxic levels down. Removing the axolotls (and therefore the food which is fouling the water) from the water for a time will help solve that problem. For the sake of your axolotls health, please get them out of the that toxic tank until you've got it under control.

While living in tubs, the axolotls will need their water changed out once a day with fresh de-chlorinated water. You need to keep them clean, cool, and safe. Each time you change their water out, you can throw the 'poopy water' into the aquarium to feed the bacteria and keep your tank cycling.

Keeping them in separate tubs/buckets will also allow you to monitor their food intake and outtake, prevent food from being stolen from the skinny axolotl, and remove left over food promptly after feeding - all this is particularly important for the axolotl that is 'really skinny'. The clean water and stress free environment will also help the axolotl's withered tail heal.

He also needs nutrition to help him heal and get well. Earthworms, blackworms, bloodworm, and pellets are the best nutritional diet. Beef should only ever be a treat, never a staple food as it contains no nutrition for axolotls. It's also hard for the axolotls to digest, and can wreak havoc with water quality if left over bits are not removed from the tank quickly enough.

As the others have advised, still monitor and record the tank Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH levels in the tank, even while the axolotls are not in there. This will give you an idea of how the tank cycle is going.

Have you checked the filter? What type of filter do you have? There may be food/gunk that has got clogged up in the works. If the filter has sponges, take them out and give them a good shake and squeeze in a bucket of water from the tank. DO NOT USE TAP WATER to clean the sponges, you'll kill the good bacteria if you do this.

How deep is the sand?

To give us a clear idea on what's going on, could you please provide photos of both your axolotls and tank setup.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!