Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating upside down?

emily74

Reaction score
Ok so I know the little ones can gulp air and end up floating, but what about floating upside down? I thought one of the smaller ones that I had had to free from the egg was dead, because it was still and upside down. I was like oh ****! And touched it and ZOOM it took off. Startled me! But is this normal or indicating that there is a problem? I lost one of the smaller ones yesterday so I'm worried maybe there is a problem. The eggs were laid on April 20th, the 5 that hatched on their own are doing awesome, it seemed like the 3 small ones were alright until yesterday. There was no indication that the one was going to die, didn't seem out of sorts or anything. So now that this one is doing this upside down thing, I'm worried :(

millerj76

Reaction score
Upside down is quite normal for new hatchlings, they have no limbs so they can swim, but not to good at steering, still, i always like to check too, and it's great to see them speed off. The unfortunate thing about the babie's is that they can just die for no apparent reason, and it is always very sad. The best thing for them is good water conditions, daily water change's and good feeding. Hope you have no more casualties.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1