Axolotls taking America over.

ltldawny30

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone;
I'm from Portsmouth, RI. 10 minutes from Newport, RI a tourist part of RI. I am an axolotl lover ;) I once had one when I was 10 or 11. Than he died and I wasn't able to find any in America. I'm 38 now. 7 years ago I finally found someone online willing to send me a few. My girl friend whom I'm still with now decided she was going to 'help' me take care of the axies while I was at work. She killed them ALL off. STill not sure to this day what she did to the water but she was after all only trying to help. I was so sad because I had my babies for 4 years with no problems. SO I swore I would never get any again. Until I met up again with the guy online I had originally gotten the 1st batch from. So I gave in missing my little guys. :) Got 8 in and sadly lost 2 of them. I've been out of touch for so long that I forgot a few minor things like seperating the bigger guys from the little ones so they really caught a beating. I got really sad losing the 2 so here I am back in the same cycle enjoying them and being real upset when I lose one. They're in the red zone now for endangerment. That is so sad. I can only hope there are many more people than I can imagine that are mating and reproducing trying to get these lil guys to make a comeback. I would like my children to be able to enjoy them when they are older. Right now they just want to grab and squeeze 'em but I wont dare allow that (of course). Anyway; These lil guys are the enjoyment in my life. I love watching them, feeding them, and just coming home from work to take care of them. I feed them before I feed my own kids (LMAO). I think I'm going to get shirts made that say I'm addicted to axolotls. SOmetimes I take one of my lil guys to the pet shops i frequent and people just can't get over how adorable they are. Some are haters and say "WHat the F#$% is that?! ANd they call them ugly. Sometimes I take one to work with me (I'm a nurse) and the patients like em too. Anyway going to track my shipment/I gave in and bought some more. Wait till my girl finds out. She thinks I'm going overboard but it's like when she goes to a pet store and says "Aw, that doggy is SO cute! Can we get him?" I tell her no because dogs are just too much! SHe's already got 2. So you see my dilemma. Now i've got 12 and I'm sure soon one of them will be doing the little dance and making more. LOL. My house will then be taken over by Axolotls. I simply cannot help it. I AM addicted. 1st part of addiction is admitting you have a problem. Well! I've definately got a problem. Good luck to all you axolotl lovers. Let's help them make a comeback! ANother word: It really sucks not being able to get axies in America. Let's get them reproducing people! We'll have Axolotls taking over America in NO time at all!!!!!!!!!! Heck! We should vote one into the prsidents chair.

Oh! And a HUGE thank you to whomever made up this site and to all it's participants. I know I've had to come in here and search when I was out of answers when I've had sick ones. Thank you for all your participation!

Good lord, you're enthusiastic! Welcome to the forum :D what colors are your little guys?

I was in a similar boat finding them at a petshop when I was really little then it took 15 years before finding then again. And I'm with ya let's make these little guys have a come back

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back