Dying Baby Axolotl, help!!

Krayons

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I have had previous experience with axolotls, however, I have a new baby axie that hatched with the rest of the batch around January/February. 2 days ago I saw fuzzy white stuff growing on one side of his/her head around the gills. The axie ate one bloodworm that night. Last night, I saw that it is now growing on the tip of the tail as well as on the one side of the head and the little guy refused to eat. This morning, The axie was on their side and I got scared so i gently nudged them with tongs. The axie quickly perked up and swam away. After that, I decided to place the axie in a smaller container with fresh dechlorinated and placed them in the fridge.
This fuzz looks just like cotton. Any suggestions to what else I could do for the little one?

I have come to the assumption that the baby is slowly dying with how he/she looked this morning.. I'm very nervous.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated!
Thanks

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a salt bath would help enormously. I think it's a fungal infection of some sort. Pictures?

Definitely a fungus or something- try a salt bath. Need a link to the tutorial?

Is it ok to do that to a baby? He's a tiny little thing.. (about an inch and a half) and if its safe, then yes a tutorial would be lovely! I've never had one of my axolotls get an infection like this before..

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

I'm not sure if you can do it to a baby- maybe ask someone more experienced? If it wouldn't hurt an adult, I don't know why it would hurt a younger one... use less salt or put him in it for less time? I think it's your best option at this point. I also hear there's a type of oil you can get from the pet store that will help, let me see if I can figure out what that's called :) Hope he recovers soon!

EDIT: I don't think I found the oil I was looking for, but I did find something called Furan-2. It's an anti-fungal medication that a lot of people on this forum use for their axies.

Ok, thank you for your help! I really appreciate it :) I'm going to look for that stuff

I've recently hatched some eggs I bought on ebay and I've had a similar thing with quite a few of my fatalities. They have been separated since they were a few weeks old. The eggs I bought weren't the best (they looked a bit fluffy to begin with) and the half that were leucistic all died within a few days of hatching. The few that had the fungus died really quickly, it was a tiny patch under their chins (if they have chins!) and then it engulfed their whole bodies within 24 hours. Mine are small for their age I think too. I'm blaming a bad batch of eggs. If I were you I would def keep them all separate just in case it's something that is contagious xx

If its fungus you need to salt bath NOW!

A baby will not last long with fungus at all. I expect its already too late.

Mel

Krayons, how is he doing?

Wondering too, how is he getting on today?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back