Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Easy tank fan setup

shultzbaby

Reaction score
So here are two pics of the pc fan that a friend helped me install about a week ago.

It's an 80mm 12v fan wired to a standard cell phone wall charger. It is completely silent since its running at a pretty low voltage. I also wired in an on/off switch and installed a dust filter (this is also to prevent my axies from jumping and getting something caught in the fan).

We scribed the tank lid around the fan with a dental pick, marked the center and then used a similar sized hole-saw drill bit to SLOWLY drill a hole. We used a drum sander to take out another quarter inch (could have used a dremel or something like that too), so that the hole lined up perfectly with the fan. Then we marked the screw holes and drilled pilot holes, and used some spare nuts and bolts to secure the fan and the filter.

It has kept my tank consistently 5-10 degrees F. colder than when I was using ice bottles(!), which makes a world of difference since I no longer have to constantly change ice bottles all day long. I don't have to use them at all. The whole setup cost about 10 bucks and an hour of my friend's time. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20120511_203206.jpg
    20120511_203206.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 690
  • 20120511_203150.jpg
    20120511_203150.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 578

shultzbaby

Reaction score
I also plan to seal it with black silicone sealant and possibly add a shroud, both would be to maximize airflow.

The tank is 20 gallons. Before the fan was added, I was using frozen water bottles to control the temp, and I was having a hard time keeping the temp below 72 F.Right now it's at 67, but it has gotten as low as 63. Doesn't go over 70 ever, as far as I've seen.

imzunicorn

Reaction score
Pardon me, I can't really see your entire set up, but from what I can tell, most likely the temps were high due to the fact that it's a covered lid and lights were on. Didn't allow for any airflow or evaporation.

shultzbaby

Reaction score
No, there's a hole on the right rear side of the lid where a filter could go. And the lights are led, they don't produce heat. All this does is force air over the surface of the water and out the hole on the other side. Its not even enough to make the water ripple, but it is pretty effective.

IamTheBear

Reaction score
just wired mine up an put it on same as you did. gotta open up the hole and bolt it down but yes drastic change in temps. Quiet running also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!