New axolotl not eating

captainbraddles

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

This website/forum is a fantastic resource and I have been using it to research what was required before purchasing my first Axolotl (Albie - Chocolate coloured wild type). I managed to get my tank set up with the PH levels good and the temperature around 16-17 degrees celcius. This was left for a couple of weeks before I found Albie. He was at a local pet store, walking/swimming at the side of the tank. He'd made a nice little track in the sand that was in the tank while all the other Axolotls sat motionless. This was one of the reasons I got him. He seemed happy and active.

When I got him home I checked the PH, Ammonia and temperature again (all ok) before introducing him to the tank. Once in the tank he just kept swimming up and down the length of the tank, bumping into each end. I assumed he was just testing the limits and getting used to his new enviroment. Tried to feed him but he wouldn't eat. Put that down to either not being hungry or the stress from the move.

The next day I got home from work and found him floating upside down near the top of the tank. I gentle nudged him and he didn't move so assuming the worst I gently went to lift him out of the water but as he reached the surface he sprang to life and swam for a bit before returning to floating upside down again. I re-checked the water levels and temperature and they were all ok. I changed about 40% of the water (and have been doing this daily since getting him a week ago), rechecked the levels and tried to feed him again but nothing. I thought this might be due to a lack of oxygen in the water as he seemed to be gulping air occasionally. I purchased an air pump and bubble wall and within 2 hours of introducing it to the tank, Albie was swimming around again :D

Now the problem I have is that he still wont eat and is constantly swimming, he doesn't seem to rest! From what I've read on here Axolotls are usually pretty placid and inactive but Albie is the opposite. I've tried feeding him the frozen food (similar to the frozen turtle squares), which the pet store was feeding him, meal worms and pellets but nothing tempts him to even take a bite. He just turns his head the other way and swims off.

Am I just being paranoid or is there something wrong? Is he just not used to the new environment or not hungry. Getting a little worried as it's been a week and he hasn't had the slightest interest in eating anything.

Sorry for the long first post too ;)

Oh yeah the tank has a filter, a couple of fake plants, a hiding spot, heater (which is off as the room temperature is ok, thermometer, and no substrate on the floor of the tank.

Cheers in advance

Brad

Well, you can ditch the heater, cooler the water the better. Make sure your filter isn't creating too much current. How big is he? Have you tried feeding earthworms?

Yeah i've made sure there is little current. Got one of the plants dispersing the water coming in from the filter. Managed to get him to eat over the weekend. He took a couple of meal worms Saturday then went crazy on earthworms sunday. I think he was just getting used to the new environment. He's still swimming a lot but I think he's just an active little bugger! ;)

Cheers,

Brad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back