Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is there any way to tell just how old your axie is/ Do seniors require diff care?

Camirdra

Reaction score
Hi guys! So I have Itzy that I got from someone that didn't want him anymore, but I have no Idea how old he is. He has been acting strange, been antisocial, eating less and hanging out at the top of the tank most of the time (he can get down just fine, he just seems to want to be up there) My water is great, the temp is 65F and everyone else in the tank is doing great except they seem to be avoiding him. I'm wondering if he's just old? Is there anyway to tell how old he is?

Camirdra

Reaction score
His head looks odd too. His gills have shrunk but the filaments look good and the overall shape of his head is different now... maybe because he has lost some weight?

Attachments

• itzy1.jpg
    itzy1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 201
  • itzy2.jpg
    itzy2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 183
  • itzy3.jpg
    itzy3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 184

emily74

Reaction score
I'm super new to axies, so total shot int he dark but if his head is changing shape and such, could he be starting to morph? I hope you are able to figure it out!

aeviette

Reaction score
Maybe it's moving stress? He might appreciate a holiday in the fridge. Could the lighter patches on his head be fungus?

Camirdra

Reaction score
He's always had the patches. I guess I should have mentioned I've had him over a year. He's always been a great eater and an active guy. I don't have any way to get a hold of the previous owners to find out how old he is. No Idea why he's acting odd... But he looks worn out to me.

Camirdra

Reaction score
Sounds awful but I hope he's not morphing! I'd have to find somewhere to put him and I don't have room for anymore tanks! It's weird that the other 3 are staying so far away from him. They have been at opposite ends of the tank now for almost 2 weeks. Here's a better pic of his spots when I first got him. I guess all I can do is wait and watch. I wish I knew what was going on for sure. :(

Attachments

• 2011-11-07_11-43-07_689.jpg
    2011-11-07_11-43-07_689.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 176
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!