Bruise?

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Country
Australia
For the past two-three days my axolotl has been swimming frantically around the tank which prompted me to double check the parameters and each of them are fine. She bumps really hard into the filter and tank walls which she has done in the past but has never lasted this long. I was out all day today and when I came home, my sisters boyfriend said that she had been swimming like a maniac so I went and checked on her. She had two white spots on her head so I came on here to see what they could be and when I went to check on her again one of the spots had disappeared. The remaining spot doesn't appear raised and I was wondering if it's possible that she has bruising from head butting everything? (considering one of the spots had disappeared). I will take a photo tomorrow if it is still there. If not, I'll feel stupid for wasting people's time and worrying over nothing :eek:

I would suggest trying to look for any other things that might be causing your axolotl to swim frantically so often. That really doesn't sound normal. Is the filter flow dispersed to avoid a current? Temperature? Excessive light or vibration? Maybe something else in the water that can't be detected by the test kit?

Well I checked on her as soon as I got out of bed and her second white mark had disappeared and she's MUCH calmer :p Could the need to poop increase her activity? She wasn't showing signs of constipation however today her poop was pretty solid and large when normally I find it broken down already (perhaps it was just timing..) I probably should've just waited it out til today to see if she had slowed down or not and whether or not the mark was still there before I posted, but thanks :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back