Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What can I learn from these pics?

Martin21114

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of some of my axolotls. The big one is Tuco. I'm thinking Tuco is a female. Can anyone verify?

The last pic is my baby from Grace. I attached the wrong pic so that's why that's here.

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 164

Martin21114

Reaction score
Here is the other pic i meant to attach. I think one's a wild and the other melanoid. One seems to lack the yellowish color and shiny ring around his eyes. These are from Zaria's eggs, so I didn't think melanoid was a possibility (wild & leucistic parents).

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 142

Martin21114

Reaction score
here's another pic, tried to get a better shot of the eyes. sorry for the poor quality, using an old digital camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 147

Erzs

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful axolotls you have there. :happy:

I'm afraid I'm no good with axolotl colour variants, but I know there are some members of this forum who are. Hopefully they'll see this thread.

I believe you're correct with the first picture. Tuco looks female to me. At the end of this webpage there are pictures you can compare her to if you'd like to: Axolotls - Biology

Martin21114

Reaction score
Thanks. I can't wait till they're a little bigger. I wish I had a better camea, the one "mystery" phenotype is driving me nuts. I'm new to axolotls, so I don't know if it's just a funny wild-type or a melanoid. I didn't think a melanoid was possible from the parents genetics, but who knows.

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
2nd set of pics is totally a melanoid in first pic 2nd set of pics on the top .. totally melanoid.. I have a gfp melanoid hatchling ;)

Martin21114

Reaction score
Thanks. I just moved them into a planted 10 gallon I'm using as my axie nursery. They seem very happy but I have a hell of a hard time finding them now.

The first set of pictures are my gfp melanoid Tuco and gfp gold albino Midas.

The babies are named Cashew, Wally, and Mac after nuts because they are tiny like peanuts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1