Question: Hello~ I need some axolotl information..

Mochafish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mochafish
Oh man first post, hey guys, I've just joined this website not to long ago, and i already like it here!
This website has such good information on all types of axolotls and such, but everyone has different opinions, etc.
So i have a few questions:

- How big of a tank would i need for at least 3 axolotls? How much water should i change a week for that size of a tank.

- Which type of filters would be nice for axolotls? i know they are sensitive to water flows because of their gills, but would a few sponge filters work?

-Which colors are your type of axolotls? i really can't pick which types to get, they are all so cute OTL.

-Do any of you think its easier to have a bare bottom tank or have sand or large rocks?

I think a lot of information says that you should have at least 10 gallons per axolotl. I had my 2 in a 20 gallon tank and quickly found the tank too small as they started growing, so I have moved them to a 55 gallon. I would say to use your best judjment on weither or not things are looking too cramped in the tank and remember that a longer tank is better than a tall one.

The kind of filter you get sort of depends on how big your tank is. Several sponge filters can work, I personally use a Fluval U4 with a spraybar in my 55 gallon. You can also use canister or the kind that hang on the tank if you are able to keep the flow down.

I have a melanoid, Rally and a luecistic, Marple. I like the contrast between the black and white :]

As far as substrate goes, barebottom is easier to keep. I personally prefer the astheatic of sand so I put the time in to maintain it. Large rocks will be a pain to keep clean because you will have to take them out everytime to clean the tank as debris will fall inbetween them.

hey, so you said that said sand takes some maintenance, what sort and how often?

and what type of filter is the fluval?

i'm thinking about starting to set up a tank soon for cycling but am trying to find all the information i need first, anything you could share would be fabulous!!

I had always heard that the axolotl really only needs enough room to be able to turn around. Mine aren't very big, maybe only 6 inches each tops, but I keep 3 in a 20 long. I think over time I will have to get a bigger tank though. All tanks you should start out changing 20-30% of the water. If you need to do more, just do them more often. Unless you're having a crises, like an ammonia spike or something.

I actually have 2 sponge filters in mine, although one isn't plugged into anything and just hanging out in there. We had to give away our 55 gallon, which that filter originally belonged to and my boyfriend wanted to keep the filter cycled for the new tank. The whole point of the type of filter you have is really dependent on what you want it to do. Sponge filters don't help remove debris from the water, but it provides a lot of surface area for the biological filter. More so than nearly all other filters.

I have 2 leucistic and a melanoid. There's one with 6 toes on the back right foot named Ziggy, one with freckles on it's face named Stardust and the melanoid is named Spider. ("Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" if you haven't noticed)

I have large rocks in mine. I think it makes the tank look really unique and it's easy to make caves and what not with. It is somewhat hard to clean the debris between the rocks, but honestly you only really notice it because in gravel and sand it's all mixed in. When you siphon, you only get out about 30% of the stuff that's in there. Same with the rocks. The only time it was ever a really big problem was when my boyfriend put water wisteria in it. The axolotls kept snapping at the leaves and a lot of it died because I didn't even want them so there as no light. Besides the debris provides nutrients for the plants, my tank is so well balanced I only have to do a water change every few weeks. I have a large rock covered in Java Fern and a log with an anubius on it. I find sand more of a pain. When you siphon it, you inevitably take sand in it with it atleast I know I'm only taking out bad stuff when I siphon.

If you want, once I find proper lighting, I can take a picture of my set up.

many of the questions you ask are personal experiences.
there is no exact science in keeping axies.. only a few minor guidelines.

tankwise. if your axolotl can swim around, its big enough.
if you have an even bigger tank.. good for them. more cleaning for you.

i use a cannister filter, that came with the tank. and it works just fine.
my water is clear as crystal.
( which does not mean the water is clean, but i have testers for that )
basically, if the filter has the capacity to function for your volume of water, its all good!
that is why i chose not to change mine.. i am 100% sure that it will do, as it came with the tank itself.

as for your bottom, again.. you are free to do as you please. as long as you keep in mind that same things are bad for your axies, and your water quality.
it comes down to what you want, and how much cleaning you are prepared to do.
i decorated my tank with slabs of lime stone, and filled the "gaps" with moss balls.
some fern and other live plants are jammed between the slabs to make the tank look more allive.
i also added a styrofoam background in the color of my hides and rocks..
so it looks more like a terranium then an aquarium.
cleaning that is a terrible job, because they seem to aim for the hardest to reach spots, and poo there.. but i dont mind.
i can spend hours on end looking and making sure everything is clean and good for the axies.

if you want it nice and easy.. leave the bottom bare, add an old flower pot as hide, make sure your filter outlet does not create to much disturbance in the water, keep an eye on the temperature and water-readings. and you are all good.

good luck on whatever you do, and dont forget to show pictures! also, if you cant figure it all out. search for help here. you can also pm me if you want. ;)

Wow, sorry guys! I've gotten a bit busy lately with trying to find a new tank for my fish before getting my axolotls.

All the information and stuff you guys have shared is a great help! Thanks a lot :)
After next week, i should be able to start setting up both tanks, for both my fish and my axolotls. I can't wait, i'll be sure to post some pictures as well, for you all!

Also, pictures of your tanks would be helpful so i can pick out a good setting for my axolotls.

thanks guys <3, ciao.

Actually - a bigger tank = less work for you. You will not have to change the water as often in a larger, cycled tank. :) You will have to do basic, daily cleaning no matter what size.

If you don't have live plants, there's basically no extra cleaning other than daily and weekly water changes. You will want to clean your filter as instructed and necessary, but that's all. Before I had live plants, there was basically nothing in the way of debris that wasn't already removed with daily spot-cleaning. You will want to check for debris build-up weekly, but there will most likely not be much or any.

Live plants are great and help the bioload in the tank and look nice, but they are messy and will up your cleaning time.

I've always had sand in my tanks - and it wasn't any more work than bare-bottom to clean before I had live plants. Large river rocks look nice, but are more difficult to clean since debris will fall between the cracks.

Gravel is completely unsuitable for axolotls and is very often deadly. Like will be said in the next paragraph, they are not terribly smart creatures - and while eating will eat the gravel or any small rocks the size of their head or smaller. This can cause choking or impaction. Impaction may be "invisible" until it is too late. Sometimes it can't be resolved without surgery, and sometimes not at all.

A 40 breeder or a 55 is a good size. The problem with smaller tanks is that while they can live together, axolotls are not social animals, nor or they terribly smart. The problem is that in a smaller tank, they're more likely to bump into each other and mistake a limb or gill for food. They're not aggressive creatures that will just bite another's arm off, but they have very poor eyesight and tend to think anything moving is food and if they can fit it in their mouth, they'll try to eat it. :p

And remember that you should have at least two "hides" per axolotl.

It's good to remember that how your water *looks* is not indicative of water quality. You can have swampy water that is great for your aquatics, and clear water that's toxic to them. That's why it's important to test it every once in a while, even when cycled.

Sponge filters are great. For a larger tank, you might want to consider two - one in each back corner. They do actually help clear the water to an extent - when you rinse it off every 2 weeks or so, you'll see lots of accumulated "gunk". I've always run a sponge filter and never had water clarity or quality issues.

tumblr_lzuf7eOoSu1qk43ago1_1280.png

That is my axoltol tank with 1 golden albino male (if you get multiples, it might be best to get adults if possible - if you end up with boys *and* girls, you're going to eventually get eggs - and have to cull or raise them - and raising them is a lot of work and culling is uncomfortable for some).

The tank is a 20 long. The "long" size tanks and "breeders" are the best for axolotls since floor space is more important to them than vertical.

tumblr_ly6xhagovZ1qk43ago1_500.png

They do grow quite big !

Here's a picture from when I changed from a 10 gallon to a the 20 long :

tumblr_lx9gv4WimR1qk43ago1_500.png

You can see how much he's grown even just since then ! He's slowing down growing, though, and getting a little fat so he is no longer getting worms as often. :p

tumblr_lujgadR8R31qk43ago1_500.png

My very first tank. It looks big and spacious, but he is so big now that in that fake log, he cannot fit in it all at once, he is too long !

A problem with that first tank is that the sand was too deep. I had problems with it, and the amount in the bigger tank (the same sand) is perfect. :)

I would go light on the fake plants and go more for driftwood / rocks. Mine never liked the fake plants and would not go near them or touch them - whereas he will play in the live plants. For a tank with no live plants, I would just keep them to a minimum to maximise the space they can use.

Here's my tank. You can see the sponge filters in the back and the one that's not plugged in. There's two pieces of PVC pipe in the front corners that you see one axolotl going into. That ceramic skull they also use as another hide.

imzunicorn-albums-my-album-picture22631-a.jpg

While I was taking pictures of the tank, Daisy also intruded and decided that she should moon the axolotls and demand pictures of herself to be taken.

imzunicorn-albums-my-album-picture22630-daisy.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back