Axy jaw broken

ltldawny30

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wondering if anyone has has a similar experience. Initially this axy apeared to have white fuzz around his mouth so I fridged him and treated him with antibiotics. (This started 2-3 weeks ago). The fuzz went away than he wouldn't eat (obviously because he was being fridge treated). So I got a small syringe and went to 'force feed' him nicely and gently. As i'm doing this for the first time I noticed that his bottom jaw was actually split in 2 so when I tried lifting the jaw gently (like it says in the posts), only half the jaw came down and i could see where the bone was seperated from it's other half. So I'm assuming that one of his bigger tank mates grabbed him by his snout and rustled him about the tank or he hit a rock really hard. I don't know how else this could've happened because I don't usually handle them. I have NOT tried force feeding him since i noticed this/I don't want to cause him pain nor make the injury worse. Does anyone know how long this is going to take to heal and if it will actually heal? He's been in the fridge now and does eat on his own once in a while, but what I'm wondering is will it ever heal so I can take him out of the fridge. Or can you suggest a better treatment route? A friend suggested i take him out of the fridge and just let him live seperate from everyone else until he heals but I'm afraid of losing him so since he's survived this long I just don't want to lose him. Please any suggestions are welcomed. Thankyou in advance for your help.

There may be no responses to your post because the readers may not have known how to advise you.

Would you be able to post a picture of the injury ? How old is this axolotl ? If the wound site is clean and clear of fungus, it may be worth taking your axolotl out of the fridge. Keep separate from your other axolotl, make sure the water is clean, cool and changed regularly. Offer food. Generally keep a close eye on any further changes.

It sounds like something that will just have to heal on its own. Just treat for any fungus and keep him separated from the others until it does.

There's no way for me to take a pic. I mean I tried, but unless I hold his jaw open again (which I can't bare to do) than there's no way you'll be able to see the injured jaw. I would also need someone else to take the pic and i don't want to hold it open long enough to do that because he wiggles no matter how firm I hold him. I just don't want to injure him more. But! I took him out of the fridge and got him use to room temp tank and he's actually eating on his own! There's no fuzz around his mouth and he doesn't look 'as stressed' anymore. He's rather small compared to all the other guys I got at the same time as I got him. He's been through a lot! It looks like he's going to make a good recovery. When he eats he has some considerable trouble but he's eating none the less and I am very happy about this. He's weird. He doesn't like eating while i'm watching him so I left a 1/2 tube of frozen brine shrimp and went to bed. It was all gone when i checked on him this morning. I really hope he makes it since he's the only GFP that I have. Thank you for your reply's. It was nice knowing someone out there cares about my little guys since no1 here in the house cares much about them except me. The kids say I spend too much taking time to care for them. They say I need to go to AA. (Axolotl Anonymous). LMAO. I'm going to make a facebook page for AA.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back