Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filtration for cycling tank

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Basically my tank is still slowly cycling, mainly because I got off to a rocky start. I have a mechanical/biological filter and I read somewhere that the zeocarb in the filter can affect the cycle (I'm not sure how accurate this info was) and have since removed it. Now I'm wondering if doing that has slowed down my cycle..

- It would also be great if people could mention what filter media they find most beneficial ;)

Colinna

Reaction score
I would leave the Zeocarb out until you have cycled the tank. Anything that removes ammonia at the beginning isn't really useful. You need ammonia to start the cycle. How long have you been cycling? Are you showing any NitrAtes yet?

My setup, I have an Eheim canister filter on my axi tank now. I have a course filter sponge on the bottom, then Chemi-pure, another finer sponge and finally some Aquaclay. However, I used seeded media from another tank when i set up my Axi tank so I didn't have to worry about going through a full cycle.

Good luck!!

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I would leave the Zeocarb out until you have cycled the tank. Anything that removes ammonia at the beginning isn't really useful. You need ammonia to start the cycle. How long have you been cycling? Are you showing any NitrAtes yet?

Well I transferred my axy to her new tank on the 7th of April so it's been well over a month but as I mentioned, it got off to a rocky start and I'm pretty sure it stalled or something :eek: It hasn't shown any nitrItes or nitrAtes yet but I'm hopeful that they'll kick in soon *fingers crossed*. I only received the master test kit last week so before that I had been using strips to test for nitrites and nitrates so perhaps I've had a spike and it's gone unnoticed :confused: Could you suggest anything that can replace the zeocarb in the filter then?

Thank you for replying by the way :D

Colinna

Reaction score
Are you sure there are no NitrAtes? When was the last time you checked? I just read back on your old cycling post and noticed you did have ammonia to start with and now it's gone. That's a good sign usually. Did you ever show signs of nitrItes or nitrAtes? If you had nitrItes and they are now gone as well as the ammonia then I would say your tank is cycled. If you've never shown nitrItes then it hasn't cycled. You need nitrItes to help create the beneficial bacteria. Or at least that's how I understand it.

I pinched this from another site I'm a member of:

The purpose of cycling a fish tank is the production of "good" bacteria that eats the ammonia and nitrites that kill the fish. Ammonia eating bacteria is called Nitrosomona and the bacteria that eats the nitrites are Nitrobacter. They grow in your filter media. Having these bacteria's are what is known as a cycled tank.
A cycle basically goes -> Ammonia to start -> Ammonia & NitrItes -> NitrItes & NitrAtes -> and finally just NitrAtes.

Hope that helps somehow...

As for your filter. If I read right you've got carbon and sponge in there. I would probably only add something like aqua clay or ceramic rings. One Axi in a tank that size won't produce much ammonia. I would only put the zeocarb back in once you're certain the tank is cycled. It's good for removing other things from your water as well, not just ammonia.

I started all my tanks out originally with sponges (coarse and fine), a standard filter carbon and something that assisted in the retention of beneficial bacteria like aqua clay or ceramic rings. I did regular water changes, DID NOT clean the substrate or filter until it started cycling, Only then did I clean the substrate every second water change. My ammonia eventually turned into nitrItes and then into nitrAtes. I only clean my filter when it becomes noticeably clogged or I notice a problem with the water quality. They recommend cleaning your filter using tank water as tap water usually has chlorine and chloramines in it which can kill beneficial bacteria. I actually clean mine in rain water as that our main source of water where I am.

Cycling can be so confusing when you start a new tank. It can take so long for it to happen. But it does happen. Just keep a close eye on your water parameters and your Axi and it will eventually happen.

I have six tanks running and the whole cycling process drives me nuts sometimes. LOL!!

In saying that, I'd better be off. Today is tank day and I still have a 2ft to clean and water change.

Good luck!!

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Are you sure there are no NitrAtes? When was the last time you checked? I just read back on your old cycling post and noticed you did have ammonia to start with and now it's gone.

I still have ammonia readings. They used to be really high (4+ on the chart) and I'm certain that's why my first phase has taken so long but now with water changes every day or every other day my ammonia sits on .25 or .5. I test every day and whenever I can't then I test every 2 days but I have never had a nitrIte reading. I think I'm taking all the correct steps now e.g. I took the zeocarb out last week and I've stopped rinsing my sponge (in tank water) and instead just suck bits up that hang around the outside of the container. Hopefully I begin to see progress in the next week or two :D

I understand the cycling process but it was just a matter of what I was doing wrong as to why the first phase has taken so long. It's a learning process as this is the first aquatic animal I've owned so prior to joining this forum out of curiosity, I had no clue cycling even existed lol.

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it. If nobody had of answered my post, then I was just going to put the carbon back into the filter and hope for the best because there's so much conflicting information out there!!

Colinna

Reaction score
No problem at all!

Sounds like you are back on track. Hopefully it won't be too long before you have a fully cycled tank!! :)

Good luck!

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Hopefully it won't be too long before you have a fully cycled tank

Hopefully.. It's becoming a real pain in the butt to come home from a long day of studying and do water changes and tests when I really just want to be relaxing in the bath :lol:

One quick question though, does Ammonia have to be 0 before I'll see readings of nitrIte or will I see nitrIte even if my Ammonia is .25 or thereabouts?

Colinna

Reaction score
You will normally see ammonia and nitrItes at the same time while it's cycling.

The way the Aussie temps are going at the moment a nice hot bath would be welcome!!

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I thought that was the case but just needed some reassurance :p

I'm in Melbourne and the weather is horrible! I don't want to imagine the walk to the train station in the mornings once the weather gets colder :cry:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1