Hello from Washington!

Gizmothefreaky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Gizmo
Hi there everyone! I have been lurking on this site for a while and I figured it was time to finally make a post to introduce my babies. :)

I have Ruth, a leusistic, and Toothless, either a wild type or melanistic, I am not sure.

Here is their tank. It is 30 gallons and after reading about large grain sand/gravel on this site I'll be changing it to fine sand in a few weeks.

18139ca5-0105-405c.jpg

Ruth and Toothless just hanging out:

18139ca5-016e-fe94.jpg

Ruth:

18139ca5-01a2-b6ad.jpg
18139ca5-01ae-b8e5.jpg

And Toothless:

18139ca5-01d0-3959.jpg
18139ca5-01db-aebe.jpg

Hope you like what you see!!! :D

So I have been reading on here about worms a lot... Is it okay that I feed mine minnows and not worms? Or should I feed just worms? I don't want my axxies getting overweight...

First off, hello.

Glad to hear you have caught that gravel is bad and that you plan to change it.

The following is what I feel.

Fish while ok to feed occasionally pose a few issues. One is they can nibble the axi gills, second they can carry disease and fungus if they are feeders and not quarantined properly. And thirdly it isn't that they will make your axi's fat but rather they are incomplete in nutrience for your little amphibian friends.

I liked them mainly since they were live food that was always there for a snack and to trigger the hunting instinct of the axi.

Welcome and good luck. I am sure others will give you good advice as well.

Hi! Leviathan and I are in Washington State too, he's a leucistic like your Ruth. You have beautiful axolotls, and they seem very happy. Welcome to the forum!

Have Ruth's gills always been that stubby, or were they chewed on a while ago? They seem awfully little. Healthy, but little.

Ooh!! Thank you! So I can still offer fish? They really love them. I also feed shrimp pellets and newt pellets, with the occasional worm from the garden, and once a week I give a beef heart cube, as well as a cube of bloodworms, but this are so little they hardly seem worth the effort...

What part of Washington are you from? I don't know if his gills were nommed, but his feet are kinda deformed from being taken off too many times, so it Is likely. I've only had Ruth a short while, he was rescued from poor conditions at a local pet store. :(

I don't know how to quote and attach to certain people, in using an app to do this, so I'm sorry if this is confusing... ^^;

So I have more questions for you guys!!! What genders are my lotls??

I am pretty sure Toothless is female, and sexually mature... See the white toes?
18139ca5-371e-8dc3.jpg
(sorry its sideways... Lol)

But I can't tell with Ruth... Is he/she too little still?
18139ca5-37b2-0af8.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the help!

So... Do I have to do something special to get my questions answered around here? o_O just curious because noone seems to really care.

The only comments I've gotten are about nail polish and... Yeah, it's a little frustrating. I just guess I am used to a friendlier, more active forum.

What part of Washington are you from?

Spokane, but I live in Pullman during the year :) You?

So... Do I have to do something special to get my questions answered around here?

Sometimes it takes people a while to respond. No worries, people will answer your questions eventually :) Btw- I think it's either too early to sex your axolotls or they're both females.

I live in Spokane too!! That's so funny! And thanks for responding, I'm just used to a forum where people are more active and responses come in daily... Also I figured it was too early to sex them, but Toothless is over eight inches, and I was under the impression that was full grown? For the most part anyway. Lol!!

Awesome! We should hang out sometime! Hmmm... Are Ruth's toes dark? If so, he/she is sexually mature. Where did you get yours from?

Ruts toes are still white, he/she is only just about six inches long though, and I got him/her from evergreen pet in the valley. I got Toothless from northwest seed and pet on sprague though, and her toes are white, so I'm assuming she is sexually mature. Lol! And we totally should hang out! That would be so awesome!

Toothless is definitely sexually mature and female. Ruth is Leviathan's sister! :DDD (Leviathan is my axolotl). That means they're the same age, and since levi is quite obviously male at this point, yours must be female :D

Lol! Omg yay!! I can't believe what a small world this it! XD so I have two girl axxies named after boy dragons... Lol! Oh well!
I'm spending the day today redoing their home, but I had already gotten blue and black sand to put in the tank hoping they would be boys, lol! I guess only I have to know they are girls. X3

Does Levi have any missing toes? Cause Ruth only has I think three on each foot... And I'm wondering if that is genetic, or from being eaten.

It's from being nibbled on- same with her gills, I believe. They'll grow in :D Evergreen is notorious for not caring for its animals properly. I go in every so often to check on his remaining siblings, and they're usually missing limbs. The other day, one of them was dead, its gills and most of its tail eaten away :( I think I picked up Levi when they first got them in, because he's really healthy.

Omg!! I'm do glad I got Ruth when I did then!! She was the only one they had at the time, the poor dear!!

Yeah! I saw her in there- I was contemplating taking her home when I saw the dead one. Glad she's in a good home now :D

I was just looking at her gills and the middle one on the left side has a branch off gill. Lol! How interesting...

Are you sure it was Ruth you saw in the tank with the dead one? I got her on the... Uh... I think it was the 19th or the 20th of last month, I should have written it down. Lol!

Yup yup. I go in there every so often to check, and she was the last one. How big is she? I think she may be larger than Levi o_O

Oh goodness I didn't measure her when I changed out the sand, I should do that really quick! Lol!!

So just measured my two, Toothless is 9 inches, and Ruth, who I just realized actually does have black tips on her toes, is 7 inches, give or take a little bit for squirming. Lmao!!

Oh yeah! Forgot to update with new pictures! The water is still a little cloudy, I might not have gotten all the dust out of the new sand, and there was a little of the old sand left inside that I couldn't get out lol! So here it is!

18139ca5-fc8d-10fa.jpg

And here is my Japanese trapdoor snail, Hiccup, as well as a close up of the sand lol two for one!! XD

18139ca5-fd57-d4ae.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back