Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the biggest you've ever seen?

axybaby

Reaction score
So I visited my friend in the next city up and popped into her local pet shop and to my surprise they had a GIGANTIC axolotl.
I know they can grow big but this was huge and I so wish now that I'd taken a picture and you can bet I will when I visit next Wednesday. Id say easily 25cm possibly even 30cm long and 9cm Tall with huge feet. I knew they grew big but is this not a giant?
I so wanted to bring her home, she was a gorgeous wild type!
What is the biggest Axolotl you've ever seen?

LeFarge

Reaction score
there's a leucistic one at crystal palace reptiles that most be a foot long and is built like a marrow

imzunicorn

Reaction score
7 inches... Wait..Are we talking about axolotls?

Just kidding, but honestly I've never seen one in person. I was shocked when mine came in at 3 inches and were so tiny. They seem so much bigger in pictures and because I was told they get to be 16 inches, I was expecting something huge.

axybaby

Reaction score
LeFarge, marrow would have been the perfect description of this one too lol i was gobsmacked, Im already worrying about what the giant must eat :eek:
Axolotl lvr Ive no doubt she will still be there when I go next Wednesday so pictures will be uploaded when I get home ;) Im kicking myself for not taking any!
imzunicorn my 2 are about 7" now and about 8 month old and thought wow these guys are growing quick at this rate ill be upgrading my tank every few month :confused: then I seen the giant and thought if my 2 grow this big my Mr will have a fit as he is weary of them at this size haha
She was so cool!

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
I currently have two males that are 10 inches tip of nose to tip of tail. My female is only around 7 inches nose to tail and has a much smaller body (when not full of eggs), legs and tail than the mails.

When people give measurements I wonder if they mean nose to vent or nose tip to tail tip. I believe a proper measurement is supposed to be tip of nose/snout to their vent.

I personaly prefer to give a total length that way they sound larger, what man doesnt like to sound larger, I digress sorry.

I am hoping I can grow some of my recent hatches up to be 12-16 inches.

axybaby

Reaction score
Dr0gr1n it was just an estimate and it was from nose tip to tail tip I'm thinking of something to hold in front of the tank to get a scale like a Biro ? It wasn't so much the length but the girth it was just so tall and fat !

Hayden

Reaction score
I have a female that is about 14". She is a BEAST, she's about the size of my forearm. Her tank mate is huge too, probably right around 12".

axybaby

Reaction score
Wowsa Hayden,

Do you have any pictures with something to show scale? Id love to see them!
Id really love my two to grow that big, Can I ask how often and what you feed your girls now they are so big, Ive been thinking about it for days now thinking how big of a worm can I grow haha :rofl:

Hayden

Reaction score
I can try to get a few pics later. I think it was largely genetics, and I got them started on chunks of nightcrawlers at a very young age. Right now, they each eat a nightcrawler once every three days, but I feed my younger ones smaller food once a day. I will be breeding them next season, so it'll be interesting to see if they produce supersized babies.

axybaby

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm afraid I couldn't get the the shop in the next town to get a photo of the giant but I did buy some lovely plants from my local shop for my new tank, I'm about to post a pic on my "new baby's Alice and Milo" thread (in tank set ups I think) if anyone's interested :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!