Marbled salamander hasn't eaten for weeks

cweis16

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My son and I have a marbled salamander that isn't eating. He hasn't eaten for many weeks. Prior to not eating he ate regularly and quite a bit. Then he started acting differently. He was out in the day and sometimes in his water dish. While we were worried one day we got him out to check him and he produced the sticky substance....I'm sure that stressed him out. We left him alone and dropped the temperature a little bit. He went back to his normal behaviour but stopped eating. He backs away from food or isn't interested. His usual was phoenix worms and wax worms. We have tried nightcrawlers and crickets. We can't tell that he's eaten anything. He looks and acts fine when you get him out. Any ideas?

Hi Cweis,
Does it appear that the salamander lost weight? Salamanders, particularly mole salamanders tend to be quite shy creatures, he could be eating at night if his weight looks normal.

If its in the water bowl then it's way too dry or the substrate has become uncomfortable. What temperature are you keeping it at? I suggest 60-65 degrees. When was the last time the substrate been changed? From my experience Marbled Salamanders that are highly stressed or scared they will secrete toxins from their tail. This is not a good sign. I assume secreting toxins is the last and final defense option they have and seems stressful to perform.

Just make sure the substrate is suitable and it's moist in the enclosure. Offer chopped earthworms over anything.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back