Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female or just chubby

Harpii

Reaction score
Hi all, just a question about sex of axolotls. When we bought them they were around 5 months old and had black/white tips on their toes which I read is sigh of maturity but they tend to be a year before you can tell their sex? Well one of them has gotten very p plump, alto more so than the other two, could this mean lottie is a girl?

Hayden

Reaction score
Not necessarily. You can tell the sex by looking at the underside of the base of their tails. Males have a pronounced bulge while females are relatively smooth.

Harpii

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply but i know about the change to the cloacal but they are still to young, i was just curious if it was an indicator because they all get fed the same amount, or can some just gain weight and grow faster than others?

Hayden

Reaction score
Some just grow differently. If you are throwing food in and letting them free eat the large one may be eating more than the others and therefore growing faster.

Harpii

Reaction score
We feed them by hand so each one gets the same, she must just be bigger, its just a sudden growth spurt I guess :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1