Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl's poop has white?!

HaveACrouton

Reaction score
So I have 3 axolotls that share a tank. 2 are new so I'm not quite sure which axolotl it's coming from exactly but there has been white poop in the tank, but when i take it out it breaks up and is brown inside, I don't know if that's something to be worried about at all or not??

Cliff

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with white poo when I first got my axolotls, I put it down to fat in their diet, because the guy I got them off said he would feed them beef heart and bits of chicken and ham.
I could be wrong, just seemed to make sense, as they have been on earthworms for three years and their poo is now always brown and healthy looking.

Chirple

Reaction score
I'd try to get nightcrawlers as a staple feeder.

My axolotl has eaten guppies, but they are never intended as anything more than a treat. White cloud are a good choice for tankmates, but the problem with small fish is that you have a lot of matter on them that isn't necessarily beneficial to the axolotl and will just be pooped out and unused - leaving them having expended a lot of energy to digest something that wasn't very useful to them.

I breed the guppies myself and only introduce 1/2 size ones (between the babies and adults in size) - bigger fish can cause impaction. White cloud aren't too difficult to breed, but a bit more so than guppies. Guppies also tend to prefer warmer water - so when I move them from their normally 80F breeder to the 67F axolotl tank, their metabolism slows down and they tend to grow more slowly - allowing them to remain a safely eat-able size for longer than a fish that metabolises well in colder water.

Just an idea. I don't think they are worth much as feeders, they're just fun to watch, don't bother the axolotl, and won't hurt it when eaten. And it offsets overcrowding in the breeder - everyone's happy !

Feeder shrimp are also nice if you like having something else live in the tank. Again - they are a treat, not a complete diet.

Nightcrawlers are great and provide a lot of nutrition without much that is difficult to digest since they're soft-bodied and don't have hard shells like some other types of worm (which can cause impaction).

Hikari sinking massivore pellets are also great for them, are are trout / salmon pellets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1