What is a good habitat for my 3 salamanders/newts? Also what kind of salamander or newts are they?

ktbug5283

Reaction score
Country
United States
So people say its a mud puppy. some people say axolot. plz help. also, what kind of habitat and food do they strive in? i found them in a little pond next to my house in washington so i have doubts about them being a axolot because they come from mexico. is a filter ok for them? they are about 1 1/2 in. long. oh yeah... they are only 2-3 months old so they are not fully grown yet so i was wondering if you can even tell what they are this early... If you cant c from the pics they have 6 external gills, long tail, 4 legs. if you cant tell what kind they are from the pics i can send you guys more. if you cant tell what kind they are and if they will be on land could you just tell me a basic habit and diet pls. Thank you sooooo much!!! sooner answer that better because i need to get start with buy thing and food for the habitat.

Attachments

• DSCF0468.jpg
    DSCF0468.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,406
  • DSCF0464.jpg
    DSCF0464.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 913
  • DSCF0470.jpg
    DSCF0470.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,182
I'm not sure what they are either but definitely not axolotl. Probably some kind of ambystoma. I would feed them cut up worms at this point in a jar on its side, cut them small enough for them to eat (mince them). If they don't eat those, try for some blackworms. Then I'd just sit back and wait to see what they morph into!

If they don't respond to non-moving food, maybe try some live daphnia

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back