Help - Is my Axolotl sick? or normal?

Dakotabre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone... I need some help regarding Darwin (my female axolotl) I've been feeding her and her mate Earth Worms since I got them. But just now, I fed them as usual, and Darwin was hungry as she snapped my finger a few times before I got the worm infront of her face... But once she ate it.. She threw it back up again (It was still alive) but then she kept dry reaching, like she was throwing up but nothing else would come out... she did this every 3 seconds for about a minute... should I be worried? Or do they just do that every now and then? Is it because the worm she ate was alive in her belly and did damage?

Should I try and feed her again or just leave her for a day??

Any help or comments appreciated!

Thanks in advance..

Axolotl do this occasionally when they have eaten too much. I wouldn't worry too much, just keep and eye for any unusual behaviour.

Thanks Julia,
I just fed her again this morning and she ate it fine... :) I think I just panicked last night because it was distressing for me to watch her gagging... But I'm happy to report she is fine and back to normal this morning :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back