Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question! chunk bit out of tail!

Jake888

Reaction score
I am very new to axolotls and I have a question...I have two axolotls about 4 months old. One is a gold albino and the other a wildtype. They are siblings and have been raised together since hatching and now suddenly one bit a chunk out of the others tail! I have read this can lead to lifelong cannabalism. I have never seen them do that before....am I over thinking this....or could this be a bad sign? They are both about 5 inches long at this point.

imzunicorn

Reaction score
It's not really anything to worry about. They do that sometimes especially when they're young. They don't stay "permanently cannibalized." It's kind of a myth about them, that they go through this stage and then stay that way and can't live with other axolotls.

Just keep them fed, be careful about feeding them when they're right by each other. Don't mix different sizes as bigger ones will bite smaller ones. If one ends up with a missing foot, then he's just footless for a couple months. It's not anything to make a big deal about.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How often are you feeding them?

I would suggest feeding them at opposite sides of the tank from one another, so accidents are less likely to occur at meal times.

They are oppurtunistic feeders and will tend to snap at anything in the vicinity that moves near them (including our fingers! ;)). When there is more than one in the tank, you will always run the risk of one mistaking another's limbs, tail, or gills for food.

Keep an eye on the wound for infections. As they are so young, the wound should heal quickly as long as the water is kept cool and clean.

Jake888

Reaction score
Thank you both for replying so quickly. Thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. Right now I am feeding them both every other day....and giving them enough earthworms until they are full. I found that feeding the wildtype everyday actually made him eat much less and he started losing some weight. I think every other day allows him to build up an appetite. other than this instance....they have been very healthy. Thanks again for the quick reply!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1