Question about food

jhonny

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Well i've had my axies for about 2 weeks now.. feeding them earthworms untill they neglect them every day once. and i was just wondering.
is this really the only good thing for my axies, is there nothing else i can give them just to keep food interesting?
i would grow so tired of eating the same thing every day.

also, i always spend 2 weeks at home, and then live at my girl's place for 2 weeks.
i'm kind of wondering what to do with my axies. of course i'll come home for them every 2 days to take care of their tank.. but they still need daily feeding.
would it be ok to have a second person put his hands in the tank to hand feed them?
or should i just get dry pellets and have them eat those every other day i'm not home?

There are lots of things you can feed them. You can feed them bloodworms, blackworms, daphnia, ghost shrimp, small snails, feeder fish (which you should probably raise yourself or at least quarantine them for at least 6 weeks.) You can even feed them little bits of frozen seafood. Like fish, shrimp or shell fish that you would eat yourself.

I keep a bag of frozen shrimp all the time. I used to feed it to my anemone, but gave away the anemone when I moved. I fed some to my axolotls when I fed the anemone. Now I keep the shrimp because it's a nice little treat every now and then. I've fed them a bit of salmon once too. Stay away from canned things though, as they tend to have a lot of preservatives.

My boyfriend and I both care for all of our tanks. We've never had a problem occur. In fact, he fed my axolotls when I visited family.

Hey:)

I have a young axolotl, which i have had since it was quite small. I have had great succes feeding it with different kinds of frozen food, such as blood worms, daphney etc. I bought af mix of little cubes of a variety of frozen food, so i didnt have to feed it the same kind of food every day. I think these kinds of mixed foods are available in most animal stores / fish stores. It seems like it is happy with its diet so far:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back