Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl's not eating, advice urgently sought

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My wildtype axolotl suddenly stopped eating about six days ago. His tank mate has been less interested in food but has still been eating every other day. They are fed on earthworms from my worm farm and occasionally a wax worm, have a four foot tank, sand substrate, three hides and perfect water levels. I know this sounds strange but they are almost sulky, vaguely snapping at worms and spitting them out. Does anyone have any advice? How long will it be before I need to be seriously concerned about his lack of appetite?
Many thanks!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, have you checked your water readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites. Also what is the temperature of the water at the moment?

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
All my readings are normal. The water temperature has been between 18-21 as we've had a hot spell in the UK. Could the temperature be the issue? I've been using ice to keep it sitting at around 20.

ahiggin1

Reaction score
I know from other animals that when gravid (pregnant), the female will lose her appetite completely. so...is there any chance of that? Are they old enough/is there a male in the tank?
Just another idea lol
good luck

lea

Reaction score
The temp can play a part in the not eating...........try feeding at night when the water cooler

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1