Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: FUNGUS - Fridge & Salt Bath but no progress

GuitarFitz

Reaction score
I started a thread before about my axolotl having a fungus around his gills and I've put him in the fridge and have been giving him salt baths but the fungus is getting worse rather then better.

He has been in the fridge since Saturday night (5 days now) and has been having 2 salt baths a day with 2.5 litres of water, with 4 teaspoons of salt for 15 mins.

I have also been doing a 100% water cahnge everyday. I noticed today that it has now spread to his tail.

What else can I do? Should I have seen some progress after 5 days?

lea

Reaction score
I think it might be time to call in the vet.........are you sure it is just fungus.....I would have thought after 5 days you would notice an improvement

GuitarFitz

Reaction score
I'm almost certain it's a fungus. I don't see what else it could be.

I'm going to seek advice from an aquatic pet store today and see if they have any anti fungal solution or anything I could use.

Chirple

Reaction score
Most anti-fungals aren't suitable for amphibians and can kill them, even if they are good for fish.

I would make sure to cross-reference with the health page on toxicities if you go that route.

I would go to an experienced exotics vet. Posting pictures here could help, too. I'd check your salt ratios and what kind of salt you're using, too (I'd do the math, but I'm about to go to sleep).

GuitarFitz

Reaction score
I've uploaded a picture now. Can anyone confirm that this is a fungus? It sure looks like one. It's still getting gradually worse and he's been in the fridge and having salt baths for a week now.

If I took him to a vet what sort of thing would they be able to do for him which I couldn't do myself?

I bought an anti fungus solution for fish that I bought yesterday that I've been using for two days. I wasn't aware that this could be harmful for axolotls, I'll check before using it again.

For his salt bath from what I read you should use 2 to 3 teaspoons per 1 litre and I've been using 2 teaspoons per 1.25 litre, maybe I could increase it. The salt I've been using is regular table salt, you would use with food.

I have done a 100% water change for his tank (but he's in the fridge right now) and have been cycling the water with a filter for 4 days. I bought a test kit and thermometer and the temperature is 20 degrees, the ammonia is 0, the Nitrite is 0 but the Nitrate is 5 mg/l. The Ph is 7.5. Would that low level of nitrate be harmful when I return him to the tank when/if he recovers.

Attachments

• P1010089.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,180

lea

Reaction score
Yep looks like fungus to me.....I would up the salt and change the salt to aquarium salt............Leave him in for 15mins, 12 hours apart

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1