Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I put these 3 together eventually?

happycamper

Reaction score
Right now I have a pair of axolotls in a 29 gallon aquarium with a divider. They laid two batches of eggs within 3 weeks and I was worried about my female, she is still kind of small, so I put the divider in. After reading a bunch of threads on here I am hopeful that they may be able to live together again eventually. I thought I read something about them having a sort of mating season, how do other people handle having a male and female axolotl together? Is it just one of those things where I will have to cross my fingers and see? It was fairly obvious that the male was up to something before the eggs appeared, maybe I could try to keep an eye on it and divide them when he is swollen/etc.?

I ended up keeping 4 of the eggs from the last batch, 2 are alive and thriving. So this leads me to my next question... I have become very attached to one of the ones I have been raising. I really want to keep him, but unfortunately my husband has put a limit on my number of aquariums... but not size.

So, the point of my rambling:
Can I eventually (after the baby is much, much larger) house the 3 axolotls in one 50 gallon breeder? Not knowing the sex of the baby, if it was male would it be too much for a single female axolotl to put up with 2 males? Are the risks of incest too great? Is this just a terrible idea all around?

Thanks for any input!

Hayden

Reaction score
I would be more worried about two males being territorial than I would be about the incest, especially if you aren't planning on breeding. If the baby is a male, I personally would keep him in a separate tank.
Honestly, moving the axolotls in and out to try and prevent eggs is going to be a HUGE hassle, a major stress on your axies and probably won't be very effective. As cruel as it sounds, your best course of action with unwanted eggs would be to cull them after she lays them.

happycamper

Reaction score
Hmm, I hadn't even thought about territorial issues. I was thinking more along the lines of adding the divider when they look like they are getting ready to lay, not switch tanks. I really don't have the heart to cull the eggs, but raising them is a pain. Maybe it isn't worth it to keep the new baby, I had hopes that with a 50 gallon breeder it might work out... probably not though :(

happycamper

Reaction score
Seems like so many other people have 2 or 3 axies together, I wonder how they deal with these things?

The male is kind of a beast, growing faster than the female even though they are separated so I know they get equal food.

IMAG2537.jpg

I always wanted a wild type, but was never able to find one locally... I want to keep him :(

IMAG3733.jpg

Maybe I will get a 40 gallon breeder for these 2 and have a 20 long for the baby. That means I will have to take down my planted tank to stay within my 3 aquarium limit... bummer!

Hayden

Reaction score
I have more than 3 axies to a tank, but unless I'm breeding I keep it all same sex. If you don't have the heart to cull the eggs and you don't want to raise re babies, then your best bet will be to separate the male and female. I honestly don't think the divider method will work very well unless you keep them divided 24/7.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1