Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from CA with some CA newt questions!

calpolybobby

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to owning newts and excited to learn all I can!

I recently received 4 california newts T. Torsa from a friend who was moving and couldn't keep the little guys any longer. They were all in great shape when I got them but now the runt "dolly" I think has fungus on her tail. I did some research on here and started salt bath treatments at 6g/L of water. The tank is a 20 long, water temp hovers around 68-70 being that I have no air-conditioning for the nest week or so. I dont currently have any test kits so I can't give anymore information as to ph or nitrates. The tank is set up with a reptofilter for 20gallons with a tree stump that breaks the water flow. Everything came with the tank from my friend, I plan on making changes within the next 2 weeks when I get to my permanent home. Change gravel to organic substrate and plant live plants.

Couple of questions that I have yet to find answered on here, hopefully someone can help!

1) I have done the salt baths 2 times a day for past 3 days and the scab with the fungus has fallen off. Is this normal? seems as if the skin now is raw again. Do I continue for longer than the recommended 2-3 days after it falls off?

2) Is the fungus contagious to the other newts in the tank? I currently have dolly in a separate tank but would like to know when or if I can re introduce her into the larger set up

3) The tank currently is fully aquatic being they are in breeding season. I would like to make the tank a semi aquatic tank like most care sheets recommend...when can I expect the little guys to start going on land more?

4) If I make the tank semi aquatic using a permanent divider, how long must I wait before using the tank again (with aquarium grade silicon)

Here is a picture of Dolly with the fungus, the large patch has now fallen off so that is a good thing I hope!

Sorry if these are played out questions, I have been trying to find answers but just really want the little guy to get better!

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 181

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
1) I would continue the baths make sure you rinse after baths and keep him on clean moist paper towls in a plastic show box with plenty of vent holes about 4 sheets thick. Check on it daily to make sure it stays moist. Offer food daily

2) The fungus probably attached to a wound and is unlikely to grow on healthy animals. If you are still worried bleach everything and rinse well. I wouldn't though. Unless fungus is growing everywhere in the tank.

3) They will look for land after breeding season. Some floating cork for them to get out on now and rest isn't a bad idea.

4) 24 hours

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1