Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Still confused about looking after hatchlings!

Tay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
About two weeks ago I got an Axolotle for my birthday from my boyfriend. I set it up in its tank and when I woke up the next day the tank was full of eggs!

They've just started hatching yesterday (in a small container not with mum) so i left them a day and then fed them some bbs today which I rinsed in tank water and i changed the water after a few minutes but a few hours later they all died :(

I bought the bbs from a petstore but I'm considering trying using a razor blade on black worms to feed to them. Bbs are just a bit daunting and costly if Im buying them every day..

I still have 50 or so which haven't hatched yet but now I'm really nervous! I think maybe they got some salt water in with theirs but I'm not sure if I over fed them either or maybe they got shocked from changing water (is that possible?). Everywhere I look seems to say something different about how long to leave their food in for and nowhere really says how much to feed them.

Can anyone help me with just some basic guidelines? There is so much info around the Internet but not all of it makes sense it's it's hard to find what's useful and what's not.

Please help!

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
There are many factors that come into play with fresh hatchlings. A few I see as potentials could be as follows.

If the mother is young and this is her first spawn then they may be weak and no amount of babying will save them.

You may have gotten salt into the hatchlings container but if you cleaned it within minutes chances are the salt was also taken away.

Also if you changed the water after only minutes the larvae had little time to consume the bbs.

If you bought them from a pet shop you may have introduced an unwanted chemical or other toxin or disease from the bbs to the larvae.

Water changes should be of a similar or same water temp that is clean of salts, chlorine, etc. If you are using tank water from the parents tank is it properly cycled. The parents tank can be high in ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and not kill the larger adult but totally destroy the young larvae.

As far as feeding goes I do small feedings but do them 2 to 3 times a day if you can. This ensures they are eating all you put in and less is waisted and will keep your water cleaner.

This is only what I have done in the past and am thinking at the moment that could be the issue. You are better off to hatch your own bbs to feed it is cheaper and as live food truly is the best for the hatchlings.

Best of luck with the other soon to hatch larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1