Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Urgent Water Question

Mycenaean

Reaction score
Hello, question. I have let my tank cycle for ~40 hours to let the chlorine evaporate from my tap water. Are there other dangerous things in tap water? I put my axolotls in and they started to produce a transparent substance from their gills so I took them out and back into water from home.

Help please! Thanks!

I know that if you have a water softener then you have to treat the water. I live in Ann Arbor in the city, so I thought it would be fine? I still have 4 safe gallons for them left, so it's not as urgent now, I just had a bit of a scare! I really like my 'lotls!

xxianxx

Reaction score
If you buy a de chlorinator it will remove the chlorine /chloramines from the water and remove the any heavy metals that may be present, making the water safe. I dont know why the axolotls had stuff coming from their gills, somebody else may be able to help.

ahiggin1

Reaction score
Do you do any sort of nitrogen cycle? Problems can arise from that, but Im not sure if that is relevent if you do daily 100% water changes BUT I do know that its a way better "type" of water for them when compared to just dechlor water.
Do you have any pictures?
Also,
how long were they in the tank before you observed the gill thing?
how long have you had them? (if recent purchase, what water did the seller keep them in. if youve had them for a while, how long have they been in the only dechlor water?)

just a sort of FYI on tap water:
some cities have iron, phosphorus, zinc, sodium hydroxide (to change ph), fluoride, a small amount of iodine, tons of chlorines/mines (as you know), and sometimes even copper and lead. Ive also heard of the new pesticides being used as being able to penetrate and get past the osmosis process that cities use for their water. there was also a report in early 2000 of some 50-55 cities having been contaminated with methyl tertiary butyl ether (an additive in gasoline that is supposed to reduce emissions) because it dissolved so well in water.
I know this was totally random :happy: but I think its interesting (probably why I went into that field haha)

good luck with fixing the problem

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You should always use a dechorinator. One that does not contain stress coat for fish is best. I have never heard of Osmosis being used to clean a cities tap water. Normally they let gravity, disinfection, coagulation, and finally filtration through sand and other crush materials filter the water. You can never tell which chemicals they are adding for disinfection, ph balancing, tooth decay and pipe rusting prevention. A cheap 5 dollar bottle of de-chorinator and heavy metal eliminator can save people a lot of stress and heartache.

Mycenaean

Reaction score
Update: Everything is now fine and they are adjusting to their new home well. Thanks for the helpful posts guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!