Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Urgent!!!! Premature

Aidan

Reaction score
My axie just emerged from its egg!!!! They wer layed in the 20th may, I ordered them of eBay and earlier one hatched, I have no food prepared for it so far, it doesn't seem to be full grown but it can swim but stays still for ages, what do I do, is there an alternative food, btw I threw in a frozen cube of blood worms incase, even tho babies don't eat dead food, I cannot order sum due to the jubilee holiday and no shop do live shrimp or others :( help! :(

xxianxx

Reaction score
If you have any standing water or a pond in your garden check for daphnia or other small insects , the bloodworm will probably be too big. The larvae will live off its yolk sac for a bit so dont stress out too much. However it is important to get a supply of live food asap.

Aidan

Reaction score
Hello Ian thank for posting again, I have no pond, I live in Ireland we can grow nothing but potatoes, I have them in a big tank, I know I shouldn't have but I wanted them spreaded, I don't even know if it can even find where it's own yolk is, I can't even see it, how long do I have

xxianxx

Reaction score
About 24-48 hours, the yolk sac is attatched to it. Any local ponds or neighbours water butts ? if you do , find it and place it in a smaller tank to concentrate the food source. Another option would be egg yolk , use this as a last resort though, it has been used succesfully but there are no long term studies done on the impact of feeding egg yolk (possibly none but who knows?) and it does mess up the water http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ng/81224-failure-yet-learning-experience.html . Liquirfy no.1 has been quoted as a possible option to. Reduce the tank size and do twice daily water changes as both methods may cause bad water conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1