Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Newt Appreciator

herbndorothy

Reaction score
While I am not a keeper of newts, I do love them a whole lot. My boyfriend keeps many newts and my duty is mostly just to appreciate them and sometimes feed and water change 'em if he is out of town.

I had not seen a newt until I met Perry in 2008. He promptly fixed the issue by taking me to a good spot to find Taricha granulosa. I immediately fell in love with them. We got our first newt, Harold (Noto v.v.), in 2009 from a man we sat next to on the plane when we moved from CA to MD. I had been pestering the man about where to find newts and toads in Maryland. He told me he had an Eastern that he had caught 7 years prior at home and would be happy to give it to us. We took him up on it and the newt zoo began.

Herb and Dorothy were the names of two axolotls we used to have. We had to rehome them when we moved back to California (for a hot minute) since they are illegal there. They are very happy in their new home and even had lots and lots of babies!

Here are some of my favorite newt related pictures

1. This is one of the first Tarichas I ever saw!

2441885173_8339fdf3da.jpg

2. This is Harold at his best. He is my most favorite newt. I love him very much.

4335901993_e1874cd474_z.jpg

3. These are two very cute Tarichas

429663_3097599673112_203998698_n.jpg

4. This is Perry looking for California Giant Salamanders

4223472457_11927bce22_z.jpg

5. found a baby!

4224242680_a3d4771072_z.jpg

6. This is an axolotl I needle-felted.

5018450788_897fbc6cac_z.jpg

When I am not appreciating the newts, I am sewing stuff, taking pictures, appreciating toads, making pizzas, picking mushrooms (or dreaming about them during the off season), or realistically/most likely: napping. I hope to one day find a hellbender, a noto, and live somewhere cool enough to breed Salamandra salamandra.

Cheers!

Axie

Reaction score
Welcome :D Loving all the wonderful pictures, and it's lovely to see a fellow arts and craftsy person on here, I am in LOVE with the needle felted axie! Sounds like you have quite the menagerie going on there! Such a shame about you having to give up your axies though :( hopefully a growing love of newts and all things newty will help fill the void a little. I'm Hayley from the UK :) I love fire dancing, all things woolly, newts frogs but my heart will always be full of axies ^_^

JReed

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Great pictures. We happen to be newt lovers also. We are especially fans of Taricha granulosas. What amazes me about Tarichas is the uniqueness of their personalities. They are such individuals. The favorite Tarricha in our family is Starla, a female we have had for about 7 years. She comes to the side of the tank to greet you ( looking for food, ofcourse), she regularly eats from your hand, she is very alert ( for a newt), and for extra "cuteness effect," is a bit tubby ( though we are trying to remedy that issue a bit!).

Welcome, once again.

Jane

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!