Question: Axolotl chasing tail WHY?

strengy

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
Hi
Yesterday I saw my axolotl chasing his own tail like crazy... It is already hurt... I have no Idea why is he doing it. I also made a video.... CAN SOMEBODY TELL WHAT IS WRONG? Axolotl tail chasing.MP4 - YouTube

You might want to look closely at him, he might have a parasite that is causing him to itch.

My axxie does this too :/ if its a parasite, how do you treat it??

Did he stop? If not give him a couple days of salt baths and see if that stops him from doing that.

Hi,
Hi seems to be fine again... He acted strange just that one evening... next day he was fine again, but as the result of that night he hurt his tail badly... see pic. he got eaten his tail it by himself :(
I also I wached him really closely and I did not see anything strange-no fungi, no parazite) His apetit is OK all the time...

Attachments

• SDC15273.jpg
    SDC15273.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 874
My axolotl also had a problem not to dissimilar from this some time ago. Look closely at your aquarium glass, are there any tiny white worm type creatures (Planaria) that you can see? Although I couldn't see any on my axolotl herself, after fridging her and removing the planaria from the glass there has been no recurrence. This may not be the case for your axolotl, just might be worth checking out. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back