To filter or not to filter.

Elafacwen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been receiving a lot of conflicting information regarding if an axolotl's tank should be filtered or not.
I have had cycled tanks in the past (for fish) and I have found them to be a major pain in the rear, especially when I move (which I do often.) For this reason, I have decided to not cycle my juvenile's 10 gallon tank.
However, I have been reviewing many post saying how it is necessary to filter the tank, and some people say they need an airstone, while many other care sites I have visited state the opposite.
To keep my little fellow happy and healthy, do I need to cycle the tank, and if not, do I need the air stone? Is doing a 50% water change one to two times a week enough if I do not cycle the tank? :confused:

Hi there,

You have mentioned both filtering and cycling, which one are you wanting to know about?
They are both different things. I think filtering is necessary in keeping the water clean but with this being said, you obviously still need to be cleaning waste from the bottom of the tank. Whether you want to cycle or not, it's still going to happen eventually. Changing 50% of the water twice or more a week may stress your axolotl's out a little bit so maybe you're better off changing 25% instead (depending on the tanks levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate). Air stones help oxygenate the water and I found that since using one, my axolotl doesn't go to the surface for air so they are pretty handy things to have (and cheap!)

Hope this helps.

I've never seen a plain old filter. All of the ones I have come across have the particle filter and the biological filter (which cycles the tank.)

A sponge filter is very easy.

No filter and not monitoring your levels doesn't make the toxic waste go away - it just ignores it. There are MANY threads by people who tried this who ended up coming back here with a sick or dying animal.

No filter is only valid in a tub-type situation and it a labour of love and much MORE work than cycling the tank.

Having a cycled tank is the easiest thing you can have. You only have to change 20% or so water a week. Isn't that much LESS work than 50% every few days (which likely will not be adequate) ? This is much more stressful to not only the animal but to YOU. My guppies had a cycle crash - and 50% of a 10 gallon for a few days was a huge pain. I would never WANT to do that over just having a cycled tank. A cycled tank means I only change 20% every week. I guess I don't understand how that could ever be more stressful or more work. :confused:

You need a filter. You need a cycled tank. You do not need an airstone unless you want one or are having problems keeping enough oxygen in your water (unlikely).

The minimum you can have in any tank is a sponge filter (cheep on amazon or eBay) don't bother with an air stone it's a waste of time. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back