Two questions about my babies

ChibiAxy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, I have eleven little ones. I have them seperated into individual tanks because they started to show their cannabilistic tendencies. (There used to be twelve :sad: ) Anyway, I was wondering when they axolotl babies start growing their back legs. No particular reason, I'm just curious. The big question for me though is how to wean them off bbs and on to frozen blood worms. Any advice is appreciated :D

Axolotls - Biology

That is the cycle you can expect.

As far as when you can feed them blood worms, uncut it will be a little while but if you chop them up really fine while they are frozen you will find they will eat them now probably. I know I fed mine bbs for too long.

Good luck.

In my experience the back legs develop within 4-6 weeks.

The little time formula I use is:
The back leg buds will start growing a week after the front legs have developed including with claws.

That seems to hold true for the clutches I have had. The 6 week-old ones I have right now all have their back legs fully grown in :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back