Refusing Food?

Zenna

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Ally<3
I need help. My adult axolotl Freckles wont eat. Taco isnt eating much either. I've tried frozen fish, And freckles just backs away from it. I tried some cooked prawn, and she just backed away from it. I gave her the leftover blood worms from a cube of blood worms which was about less than half. She ate that. But then i offered her some earthworms. she took it but then spat it out. and just backed away every other time i tried offering her some. Ive got my mom going out to get some feeder fish to try something live. But I'm so confused. I lost one of my other axies to a not-eating problem :( I really don't want to lose freckles, she was the first axie ive ever bought and i love her dearly. Can anyone please help?

The pet store didnt have any feeder fish so my mom brought home a few crickets. she bit it and spat it out :/ just backed away from it after that. I'm so confused. I'm going to try bloodworms again because that seems to be the only thing she'll eat. if i can get her to eat at least 1 cube of bloodworms i'll be happy. for now.

I just checked Temp and Ammonia/PH levels. The PH is fine. The ammonia is a bit high, So i'm going to do daily water changes untill it lowers. the temp in the tank is 18 celcius. Is the ammonia the reason My baby wont eat? I just tried the bloodworms. she came out, smelled them then turned away :/

Ooh have you tried Brine Shrimp?
Does Freckles look okay, hasn't swallowed anything which would obstruct her tummy?
I hope she starts eating soon!

Freckles is waaay to big for brine shrimp :p There's nothing she could have swallowed in the tank. they have bare-bottom. and nothing small enough to be eaten. she looks fine, healthy. chubby. but its been about a week and all ive gotten her to eat was 1/2 a cube of blood worms 1 day and 2 suuupppeerrr tiny worms another day. I even offered her some fresh salmon, some cooked prawn.. and no interest. she just turned away.

All you can do is keep offering food. My last axolotl died like this. Try offering food you previously fed it as it will be something it is familiar with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back