Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My babies are growing slowly...what am I doing wrong?

DeCypher

Reaction score
I have 14 Axolotl babies that hatched sometime around late February. They are only just over an inch long, very small. Still on brine shrimp. How is this possible? I hear other people talking of their babies being 2 inches long and just getting their back legs. Mine received their back legs a week or so ago. How can this slow growth be possible? Here are the conditions:
Temps: 65-ish F
Housing: Separated into 14 quart glass jars with 2 in. water and plants. Light overhead jars.
Water: Very clean, changed every day.
Feeding: Brine shrimp every morning.
Any help would be much appreciated by me and my babies!

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
That does sound a bit strange. Maybe try feeding twice a day and leave the food in longer.

I have one out of the 30 I hatched that 4 months now is just maybe 3 inches while the others are at least 6 inches or bigger.

Good luck.

Mycenaean

Reaction score
I have 14 Axolotl babies that hatched sometime around late February. They are only just over an inch long, very small. Still on brine shrimp. How is this possible? I hear other people talking of their babies being 2 inches long and just getting their back legs. Mine received their back legs a week or so ago. How can this slow growth be possible? Here are the conditions:
Temps: 65-ish F
Housing: Separated into 14 quart glass jars with 2 in. water and plants. Light overhead jars.
Water: Very clean, changed every day.
Feeding: Brine shrimp every morning.
Any help would be much appreciated by me and my babies!

When you say "Light overhead jars," do you mean that you have lighting on the axolotls?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would move onto slightly bigger live food now such as daphnia, small blood worm , chopped balckworm etc. This should help :D

Morrison

Reaction score
I've had the same problem. I had 5 month old axies in a tub and they were just an inch. I fed them more often and bigger and they 'finally' started to grow.

satyrlike

Reaction score
At 1" I moved mine to the smaller Hikari bloodworms and into "plastic shoeboxes" that I was getting from Walmart for $5 stack of 10. The more advanced food and the larger living space did the trick and they started growing like weeds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1