Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about fridge and salt baths.

happyhawaiiaxo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I noticed that my baby has some fungus on her gill. I know there are many threads and posts that explain how to do the fridge process and salt baths, but I just had a few questions regarding these. Should I try the fridge process before the salt bath?

Also the process for the salt bath, would I first take the axolotl out of the tank, then put her in the salt bath? Or would I first put her in a separate container then put her in the salt bath? Im not very good at following instructions, so I need to know exactly what steps to follow.

Thanks! :D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do the salt baths. Whether or not you want to also refrigerate may depend on what temperature you can keep without the fridge. If it's cool (under 68F), then I don't think you need to fridge too. If the temp is cool enough, you can move the axie from the tank directly into the tub with salt water, then move back to tank.

Have you tested the water parameters in the tank?

happyhawaiiaxo

Reaction score
I live in Hawaii but they stay in my room, which has an ac. I keep it to about 70 degrees throughout the whole day. Im kind of slow on the terminology so I apologize in advance, when you say water parameters, do you mean how clean it is?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1