Question: How Long Until White Spot Should be Clearing Up?

Sky Diamond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sky
My axolotl currently has white spot, I've gave him two salt baths in two days and he's in a smaller tank for the treatment as I cannot fridge him. His water is around 17 to 21C.

I was just wondering how long until I should see the white spot clearing up?

Thanks.

Oh okay. I've been doing them about every 24 to 28 hours. I'm pretty busy and he's already getting sick of them. I'm using 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons of sea salt for about 10 to 14 minutes.

I currently only have old photos and the spots he has are hard to see due to him being albino.

These are the old photos. He's had these spots on his side since I've got him, not sure if that's normal or not.
6dsgw1.jpg

I put in neon tetras in his tank about a week ago and I thought two may have had white spot and since then I've noticed two spots on his foot show up and two on his back. I don't have photos of the ones on his back.

2qjf89h.jpg

25jz3iu.jpg

He's also swimming pretty crazily through this smaller tank I have him in. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. He's eating though.

Hiya Sky,

Hope your little guy clears up soon! He looks like a beauty! Just from your picture i'm a bit worried your gravel might cause some problems, they can eat the small stuff and it can cause them to get impacted so it's best to have slate, sand or very large pebbles (the general rule is if they can get it in their mouth they'll eat it!).

I would be very wary of keeping any tank buddies in with your axies, they can bring diseases and nibble at gills.....I know it'd be nice to have a tank of all kinds of different critters but unfortunately axies aren't that sociable!! I'm also wondering what temperature your water is if you're keeping tetras in there? Axies tend to like cooler water, around 16-19 degrees celcius and teras like it a bit warmer, might be better to keep them in separate tank so everyone can be happy!

I hope this is helpful for you and good luck!
Anna

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back