Axolotl behaviour experiments?

Lua

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a scottish student currently sitting the dreaded advanced higher biology. For the course we have to come up with a science project which is then assessed. Rather than do the usual effects of enzyme activity or sports physiology, I'd love to do a science project centred around my axolotls, perhaps focussing on their behaviour.
This is where you come in! does this sound like a viable idea, that would have enough depth and scope for a project? I think it might be a bit of wishful thinking to involve my pets, but it would make everything so much more personal and interesting. Can anyone suggest a viable project or experiments i could conduct based on their behaviour? I've previously hatched axolotls and raised them up, so was half thinking i could centre the project around their development, if behaviour doesn't have enough scope. Thoughts and ideas much appreciated, and will hopefully save me from spending a year measuring resting pulse rates!

What about their ability to re grow limbs
It is widely reseached already but......just an idea

there is very little to tell about their behaviour..
they just sit around and look funny
when food comes they get excited, and when you turn on/off light they'll panic. :p

i would go for their rehabilitation capacity's as well.. and how they are being used to try and make people re-grow limbs.

there is very little to tell about their behaviour..
they just sit around and look funny
when food comes they get excited, and when you turn on/off light they'll panic. :p

i would go for their rehabilitation capacity's as well.. and how they are being used to try and make people re-grow limbs.

i agree this is a really fascinating part of their biology, but as i have to create experiments to back up the project i'm afraid it would have to involve me removing their limbs? i don't fancy mutilating my axies even in the name of science! i agree with you that the behaviour side of things could make for a very dull study, its pretty much eat sleep and poop..
the sqa are really just looking for a project that's pretty basic and well done, i was thinking about doing the effects of a factor such as temperature on larval development, do you think this would work out? or i might just give it a miss, i have a feeling i'll be known around campus as the crazy axolotl girl haha :L

Im just curious on how long you have to compile your evidence and whether you have to do all of the actual experimentation yourself, its just one of my guys ate another ones leg the day I got him and I kind of have pictures of the development and a timeline?
Perhaps you could start a thread on regeneration time and developmental mutations to compile some data and analyse the comparisons by identifying water temperatures and light etc..?
Just ideas ( Im so geeky I love this stuff lol )

Sorry to pour water on your idea, but I would worry that you won't be able to get enough data to make a good project, and although it sounds good to concentrate on something that you enjoy, it is not worth jeopardising your project for. Unfortunately the reason why so many people do 'boring' projects like enzyme activity etc is because they are easy to carry out, and provide lots of data which give you lots to write about. Whatever angle you tried to study with Axies I would think would be very limited, and you would not have a lot to discuss. Personally I would stick to the boring stuff, sorry. But then I am a science teacher!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back