Red Tail and Gasping for Water Normal?

Sky Diamond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sky
Ever since I got my guy Alec three weeks ago now, he's had a pink or red tail - appending on if he's been swimming a lot or not - but in the past few days I've noticed he's tail has turned red, constantly and today and yesterday he has been gasping for water, with his mouth open and doing swallowing actions even know he hasn't been fed since the day before yesterday and there's nothing in the tank for him to eat. He was fed for three days in a row due to him racing through the tank.
The only other time I have seen him doing these swallowing actions was when he ate nine tetras in less than 24 hours.

He's been getting salt baths for four days now, today being the fifth day, for white spot which is now cleaning up. Could the salt baths have turned his tail red or is there something else? Also since I've been giving him these baths, I can see his veins through his tail and there is also red spots in the same place on both is back legs.

He seems normal enough. He's not racing through the tank like he was but is still active enough. His water sits around 17 to 20C. He's in a smaller tank to what he had before due to the salt baths and not being able to fridge him. He has a air tube in his tank also with a plant and a filter going.

cndow.jpg

I know nothing about white spot but.......are you sure it is white spot and not just skin colouration
Has alec got fungus??
Have you checked the water parameters??? this could cause the redness.

I would do a water change, then stop the salt baths unless he has fungus of course.

It's white spots because they are up risen and I also had neon tetras in his tank with white spot. No it's not fungus as the spots aren't fluffy. No I haven't but I will asap now you've mentioned it. :)

ok. Check your water, check what is in the treatment for white spot, this might be burning alec. Forget the saltbaths this wont be helping his already upset skin.......im sorry I cant help more, I dont know anything about treatment of white spot...oh...get rid of the fish(if you havent already :))

When you say white spot are you meaning those spots above his back leg in a line?? or have you treated it and all the spots have disappeared

He ate those tetras actually haha I'm just using sea salt for the bath.

He's had that line of spots since I got him, I think those are normal. You can't actually see the spots in that photo. He only got two on his toe and two on his hip on the other side, which have now gone and also some on his tail.

Ok, yeah i was going to say that those don't look like white spot and i'd say they are normal. Just remember to still continue treating at least 4 to 5 days after all the spots have gone

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back