Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: A little concerned about my tiger

kfar

Reaction score
As Tigers get older, do they change their habits? My tiger does not enjoy eating her worms anymore. She will eat one and then put her head down when I try to give her more. Also, she is burrowing longer than she used to. I'm not sure of her age. I have had her for 4 months on June 20, I am not sure how old she was when I purchased her. I got her on Feb 20 and she lost her gills about 3 weeks later. Anyways, it is warmer now, her "home" stays about 68-73 degrees, depending on time of day. So I was thinking that maybe she stays burrowed and eats less just because its warmer or she's older. She also used to like getting in her little water pool. I know that they are not water lovers, but she would get in her pool a few times a day. Now she doesn't get in at all. She used to stay at the glass and play with the cats, but she doesn't do that anymore either. I can usually talk to her and she will come out and she will stay out a little while, but then just goes back in her hole. I know the last time I had to change her water, she had shed, because the skin was in the pool. I'm just wondering if there is something I need to be concerned about.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You had a similar question back in March and the answers were good and still applicable relative to the animal's burrowing.

From my experience, personalities do change as they age, but I'm talking as they approach double-digit age. They slow down and some will have color changes, they become less aggressive feeders, etc. Yours is very young.

Make sure you are caring for it properly as outlined here: Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

As for feeding, how often do you feed and what quantities? Two to three times a week is adequate...as much as it will eat in 10 or so minutes. Saw in March that you were using earthworms and crickets.

Remember that these guys are fossorial animals and prefer to live in burrows or underneath something....that is their nature.

kfar

Reaction score
Sorry, I have read those articles and I am caring for her properly. She started acting differently and I was concerned. I won't ask any more questions.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Sorry, I have read those articles and I am caring for her properly. She started acting differently and I was concerned. I won't ask any more questions.

Ask all the questions you want, however if it is the same question you may get a negative response (not to say the other response in this thread was negative).

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Kfar, please don't misinterpret my comment - ask all the questions you want. Just understand that you'll most likely receive the same, redundant information.

Since you are caring for her properly, her burrowing is a normal habit. As was discussed in your earlier thread, sometimes tigers will stay burrowed for days to weeks. When temps are warm, tigers will seek cooler conditions as well. However, there remains the question of how often and how much you feed. The animal may be shying from food as it is not hungry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1