Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Plug for "Classified" Caudates

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I often peruse my local online listings in the "Pets for Sale" section. I look for any newts or salamanders that people are getting rid of and have been able to help a lot of caudates this way. I've gotten 3 tiger salamanders, a crested newt, a paddletail, and a total of 5 H. orientalis over the years. I even respond to the adds for animals that I don't really have an interest in keeping for myself just because I figure if I don't want them at least I can probably find a good home for them with someone on this forum.

So has any one else been able to expand their collections this way, and to help a newt in need? I really like it because you can get more animals (like adults that aren't often advertised on the forum) without supporting the pet store trade. And I really do feel like I am helping the animals - many of them have been in just awful housing when I have picked them up, and just about all of them come with "newt pellets" or "newt bites" because that's what the previous owner fed them exclusively.

In the last week I took out my own ad in the classifieds, stating that I would buy any newts or salamanders that people needed to rehome. I got 2 responses in 2 days! I also put a link in the ad to Caudata.org so people could learn how to better care for their pets. I hope folks have used it.

I would like to encourage others to look through their classifieds, if you have them in your area, and see what's being offered. I don't see them frequently in my listings, but I look almost every day so I don't miss the chance to help a salamander! You may be surprised what someone in your area needs to rehome, and what little critter you can help in the process!

Heather

AngieD

Reaction score
Good idea! I think I'll go ahead and try this.
Our fire-bellied newts got to us in a similar manner - the trio were handed in to a local pet shop to sell, so we bought them. The pair were going to be sold online (preloved) but the owner of the same shop told him to phone me and ask if we wanted to buy threm off him instead.
I sometimes look on preloved, to see if there are local bargains, but it makes me cringe when I see fire-bellied newts mixed with fire-bellied toads

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1