Illness/Sickness: Axolotl has swollen head

Tammii

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, we are looking for help with our sick axolotl. We have 2 and the white one is fine and eating and moving around really well. The black one has stopped eating for a few weeks and will not move much. The chin area has become really swollen and his mouth is open. I took the axolotl to the vet 2 weeks ago and he said he was fine and had nothing stuck in his mouth.

The ammonia level in the tank is good.. and they have regular water changes.
There is no gravel in the tank, just sand and the water temperature is at 18 degrees celsius permanently.

I'm not sure what is wrong and how to help him, can anybody please help

Thankyou

Has it eaten anything at all? When was the last time it has eaten? What do you feed them? Is it just swollen or is there a coloration? Is it still just as active or more lethargic?

I have one that has a swollen stomach. Trying to see if there are any similarities. Although, after being swollen for around 4 days, it's finally starting to go down and he's become more active. I'm wondering if it's an internal injury.

Hi, We have tried everything to get him to eat, it has been weeks now. Blood worms, black worms, organic earth worms and pellets - he isnt interested. We got some medication to put in the tank water in case of bacterial infection but it has'nt helped.

We were told yesterday by an aquarium shop that "he is on his way out" but we are still trying to to prevent it... he is only 1 year old. We were also told that it could be a thyroid problem in him.

The axolotl certainly isn't "fine". Sounds like a mouth infection to me. Not many vets in Australia have experience in treating axolotls. Are you able to get a second opinion from another vet? We have a list of Herp Vets that may be of some assistance: Herp Vets in Australia.

Whereabouts in Australia are you based? If members in the same State as you see your thread, they may be able to recommend a vet they have had good results with.

If you live in Melbourne, I'd be happy to pm you some vets that I go to who have experience in treating axolotls, as some of the vets on that list have moved on to other practices.

If you haven't read through it already, the Axolotls - Health & Diseases page has a list of safe medications for axolotls located down the bottom of the page.

We are in Perth and have tried to get hold of the Herp Vet here, and unfortunately he is in America until the 1st of July... have tried other vets and they say that they have'nt had experience with axolotls.

It's time to refrigerate you axolotl and maybe consider adding antibiotics used for fish to the water.

Refrigerating is a good idea. That way his metabolism slows and the not eating isn't so urgent. I wouldn't put fish meds in there though. We don't really even know what is wrong with him, so we can't treat with something so harshly.

There was another thread about an axolotl that had a limb bitten off and it became swollen. It either has to be an internal injury or an infection. In all instances, the axolotl doesn't eat. I've yet to get my axolotl to eat, but the swelling has definitely gone down. I don't know if it's the refrigerating for mine though, since I've had him in the fridge this whole time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back