How did my larva die?

Cocoapanda10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
RedMage
I've had a death toll of 4 Axolotl larvae in the past 2 days, and the most recent one gone, snapped into 2 pieces when I put him down the toilet.

His tail was curled, just like his his sibling's (who died a quick death). I put him into my 'sick bay' for a few hours, and he was just twitching in his last minutes of life. I checked him, and he had definitely died.

I put him into the toilet, and watched as he snapped into 2 pieces! Now I regret not culling him, he must have been in alot of pain.

But the question is, why, and HOW did he die? This hasn't happened to the other deceased larvae :(

Irrelevant Information:
The thing i'm hoping for is that my favourite Golden Albino, my leucistic and a wild type make it. I might keep my Golden Albino and the leucistic, because the golden I like has eyes that seem to sparkle, and my mum loves him :p I also have a definite leucistic larva, because his underside and half of his sides are white, and some of his back is white.

Their front leg buds have also dissapeared from view, and i've noticed 4 little finger looking things off the biggest, who looks like a wild type, but could be leucistic.

The mother is a leucistic with blue eyes, and the father is an olive wild type.

Well, most likely the reason it snapped in half was because it was dead, not necessarily how it died. Dead animals usually get really stiff when they die and it's easy to break bones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back