Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can an axolotl last a week without food?

Axie23

Reaction score
Hi, i'm about to go away for a week and was wondering if my axolotl will be okay during that time? how much should i feed her before i leave? i plan on completely cleaning out the tank and filter. i usually feed her on axolotl pellets. she is just under a year old. i was thinking of leaving the water at about 15cm in height so that the filter is right on the bottom of the tank and can pick up any waste alot easier. please note that it is winter here so the tank water will be fairly cold while i am gone so it might affect her metabolism? i do not have the option of giving her to someone at such shot notice.

LeFarge

Reaction score
15cm? why?? please tell me you have it twice as deep as that normally!

pellets aren't a particularly good diet, you should try earthworms or even blood worms (mix it up a bit) - but for the time being, putting a few in with her and leaving her for a week should be ok... but no longer than that!

Nano

Reaction score
Your axolotl should be okay for a week (no more!) I went away for two weeks and just got a neighbour to feed my axie once and he was fine.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, at cool temperatures an axolotl could go for a week (or longer) without food. This assumes that the axolotl is in healthy robust condition to begin with.

I would like to clarify LeFarge's advice to put a few pellets in the tank when you leave. I would say to feed her well before you go, but remove ALL uneaten food before you leave, don't leave any in the tank. It would probably rot and foul the water, which is a serious risk. (This is also a risk if you were to ask someone else to feed it while you are gone, so I don't recommend that either, unless they know how to remove the uneaten ones.)

Sam77

Reaction score
A week should be fine as long as your tank is cycled. I wouldn't clean your filter just before you go away, as this might affect the water if you lose a lot of the good bacteria. I would change 20% or so of the water as you usually would, and feed the day you go. Fill up the water as much as you can, as long as there isn't a risk of your axie jumping out. This will help to keep the water parameters more stable.

If you do have someone that can come in and feed a few pellets once or twice during the week, I would, but as others have said, make sure that they take out any uneaten pellets before they leave or this could foul the water. I'm sure your axie will be just fine :cool:

Fastback

Reaction score
For a week they will be fine.
Follow all the other advice regarding your water and pumps.
Just have water and food ready when you come back to change water and feed.

I feed my axoloti's last week Friday, gave them 2 blocks of frozen blood worms, did a 30% water change and cleaned their tanks on Sunday.
I have only given them food about 30mins ago. witch is a week now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!