Question: Help identifying a salamander

naturegirly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I live in Rockbridge County, VA in the western part of the state. My dog found what I believe was a salamander in the grass on our farm, but I haven't been able to identify it. It was all yellow, about five inches long and thicker (fatter) than pictures of salamanders on the web. I couldn't find any at all that were completely yellow. It had soft, moist skin, four legs and a tail. I know this is vague, but I'm hoping someone will know what it was. It was not injured and I released it without getting a picture :(

Do you by chance live in area by limestone, caves, a stream? If so, maybe what you saw was a juvenille Eurycea lucifuga. This species range includes your county and juvenilles are yellowish in color. They tend to be thin in body shape however. Too bad you were unable to get a photo....would have assisted in identification.

Thanks, Jan, but, you know, I doubt it was even a salamander. It was three times the width of the Eurycea lucifuga. I knew I was grasping at straws, but I've never seen anything like the little amphibian I saw and would have liked to have known what it was. Next time, I'll be sure to get a picture. Maybe I'll see this little critter again.

A salamander is the only thing it could be, judging by your description. A number of species are possible in your area, and the animal concerned could be albino, leucistic, xanthic, or hypomelanic. The possibilities include Notophthalmus viridescens, Ambystoma jeffersonianum, A.maculatum, A.opacum, Desmognathus fuscus, D.monticola, D.ochrophaeus, D.quadramaculatus, Eurycea bislineata, E.guttolineata, E.longicauda, E.lucifuga, Gyrinophilus porphyriticus, Hemidactylium scutatum, Plethodon cinereus, P.glutinosus, P.hoffmanni, P.hubrichti, P.jordani complex [not sure which], P.wehrlei, Pseudotriton montanus, and P.ruber. Of all those, I think A.maculatum is by far the most likely: it's relatively large, typically possesses at least some yellow, color abberations are widespread in the genus, and it's not closely tied to specialized habitats like streams or caves. Several Eurycea have suitable colors but possibly restrictive habitats and body forms. Gyrinophilus and Pseudotriton could possible be suitably colored and stocky enough, but again have specific habitats. I think mole salamanders are by far the most likely to roam through a yard.

The only other thing which comes close to your description and might at a stretch be mistaken for a salamander, might be one of several skinks, Plestiodon. Of those, a pale colored broadheaded skink, P.laticeps might be a good candidate. While scaly, these might appear to be damp-skinned due to their smooth scales and possible water on their skin, and their red-brown coloration could either be reduced or appear yellowish under some lighting conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back