Illness/Sickness: Injury question

Martin21114

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl jumped out of her tank and fell about 3 feet onto cement. Luckily I was right there and scooped her up and put her back in the water. She's moving around fine, but has a nasty gash on her belly where there is a loose flap of skin about the size of a quarter. I gave her a 12 minute salt bath (6tsp salt/3L of water) and placed her in a shoe box size container in the fridge. Now I have some questions and was hoping someone could please help:

- Was refrigerating/salt bath the right action to take? If so how long should I keep it up?

- Should I change her diet? Until her injury I fed her lots of live black worms. They seem to foul their own water quickly if not rinsed daily. Are black worms something I shouldn't be putting in with an axie with an open wound?

I would keep her in cool, clean water... and keep a very close eye on the wound for any signs of deterioration. A salt bath is not necessary unless there is sign of infection.

Thank you, I plan to change all her water every 12 hours to keep it nice and clean. I was told salt baths would be a good preventative to infection, should I discontinue them until I see a problem? She sure didn't seem to like it :(

What about feeding? I'm afraid live blackworms may wiggle on over to her wound and infest it, but I may just be paranoid because I'm so worried about my little baby.

Salt baths on an open wound would probably be quite painful for your axolotl, I would only use if you see sign of infection.
The blackworms should still be ok to feed, but if you see anything that concerns you, stop feeding them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back