Gills not fluffy & redness??

AxolotlTwins

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi
I have two male axolotls who are both housed together in a 4ft tank but recently i've housed them in a 2ft tank temporarily whilst i clean their 4ft tank. Recently i've noticed that both of their gills arent as fluffy before and on my leucustic he has red patches on his tail and back, also on his tail u can see red veins. Would this be the water quality as to his dark pink/ red patches showing? They are fed on earthworms & frozen dillies. No fish live with them. No substrate on the bottom of the tank. I would tell you my water parameters but iam currently in the process of buying one at the weekend so hopefully i can get back to you with them. I have a filter in with them & plastic plants & ornaments. Both males are nearly 2 years old & 9-10 inches long. Should i give them a salt bath incase its a parasite or fungus? Thank you Sian. Pictures attached.

Hi, my axie has red patches on his leg & 2 small red dots on his tail ( looks like chickenpox spots) rang the vet & they said he has septicemia. Have an appointment at 2:30 today. This came on literally overnight. Vet said it is bad. If your axie has patches of red skin, kind of looks like a bruise? I would take him to the vets ASAP.
I HOPE your guys are OK

Hey madink,

Thank you so much for your reply & i shall see if i can find a vet near me thank you x

I really hope your guys don't have the same problem. Boo has gone down hill so fast :( & he looks so sick. The vet gave him 2 x lots of antibiotics which have to be given manually for the next 10 days.

I have my fingers crossed your babies don't have the same. Good luck & let me know how you go :eek:

Hey again Madink!

Oooh no thats such terrible news but i have my fingers & toes crossed for your axy :( Poor lil guy!
I've just looked at my two today as its feeding time & Yukari's redness has dissapeared! Its all gone which is good news! But they both look like they have a little bit of fungus on their gills so at the moment they are having a salt bath to help heal them. Please let me know how your little axy gets on. Really hope she/he gets better :happy: xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back