Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Going out of town, afraid for my little ones

Silver

Reaction score
So my tanks require almost constant monitoring as far as temperature and water level go, and I'm afraid of leaving my axolotls alone. I could have someone come visit them, but would that be enough? Should I leave them in the fridge while I'm gone and have someone come do daily water changes? Jori is about four inches, Lei is closer to eight.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This question is a very good argument in favor of arranging setups that don't need daily attention, even if it means more expense or work in the short-term. I don't mean this to sound preachy, just as a word of warning to anyone else who is reading this. It's difficult to take a vacation if your setup is complicated to maintain. Everyone needs to take a trip (or is unexpectedly called away) once in a while.

How long will you be gone? How much space do you have in the fridge? If you fridged them in fairly large containers, they may be fine without any water changes.

Another option might be to take them to a friend's house, each one in a large bucket. The friend could do daily water changes and occasional feeding. If they have AC or a basement, temperature should be OK.

Silver

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Honestly, it's a very temporary set up. He's only in it until he's big enough to share a tank with Levi.

I'll be gone a week, and I have plenty of space for them in the fridge. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate your help! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1