Super early metamophesis on A. macrodactylum causing problems?

noneofmany

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, first things first. This is my first post on this site so...yay!

I recently caught two long toed salamander larvae in south central washington (yelm) and set up an aquarium for them that seems to work well (they don't just spend all their time bumping along the glass looking for a way out and are fairly active).

One of the animals is a very aggressive feeder and highly active even with relativly cool water, however the other salamander started metamorphesising on june 18th! This is far earlier than any paper on A. Macrodactyl says they should begin at and even stranger is that he suddently stopped the process and instead remained in the water but with very shrunken gills (just itty bitty knobs left) now he occasionally breaks the surface and breaths air for a while but later I find him in deep water again and hardly even seems to need to come up for air. He only breaks for the surface as often as the larvae he is housed with who still has large flaring gills.

If he were still eating I wouldn't be concerned but he doesn't seem very hungry, and because he hasn't transitioned to land I can't easly feed him terrestrial prey.

I suspect he was an over wintering animal from last year but that doesn't explain his halt in metamorphesis.

What I really want to know is if it's normal for a salamander of this kind to lose it's appetite during the most intense stages of metamorphesis untill they make their final transition to land? If I've somehow caused him to cease changing then would trying to get him to finish the job help him move on and get him to eat land food? If so what could I do to help him do that? would putting him in a terrestrial enclosure with less water help?

Also if anyone coulld recomend something good to stimulate his appatite I'd appreciate it. I know live worms are good for this but I can't find any info on aquarium/pet stores on the area that have them. The seattle area that is.

I have seen him show some interest in food but he chickend out at the last second and didn't take it, still it gives me hope.

It is normal for sals to lose their appetite during metamorphosis. Their mouths are changing during this period, so they often won't eat. From June 18 isn't very long, so I think it's too soon to think that the process has halted. Just be sure he has places to climb out of the water when the time comes (and has a secure lid).

Regarding live worms, most Walmart stores sell them in the fishing dept. Or look in the yellow pages for bait shops.

It is normal for sals to lose their appetite during metamorphosis. Their mouths are changing during this period, so they often won't eat. From June 18 isn't very long, so I think it's too soon to think that the process has halted. Just be sure he has places to climb out of the water when the time comes (and has a secure lid).

Regarding live worms, most Walmart stores sell them in the fishing dept. Or look in the yellow pages for bait shops.

Well thanks for the reply but I just feed him a few hours ago and this time he actually ate two blood worms.

I guess that's good news but it's odd that his appatite has resumed while he seems to be getting less and less interest in even being near the surface. He has changed since even yesterday but he just doesn't seem interested in hauling himself up on land. He doesn't even sit near the surface anymore with his nose out of the water.

I guess that as long as he's eating he will be ok, but it's still strange.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back