Need help please

djfreeman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

This is my first posting on the site. I am a new member and hopefully soon to be axie enthusiast. I have been doing research over a month now and have ran into several conflicting views on axolotl care. I recently bought a 30 gallon long tank and 40lbs black aquarium sand (Carib Sea super natural). I have a couple questions before I start my journey with raising axolotls. First, I am trying to decipher the best set up for my tank. I would like to get a canister filter due to the fact I have had great experience in the past with canister filters being top grade quality and filtration. Currently, I own a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium running a fluval 406 that has been perfect. So my question is would a fluval 206 be a good idea for my axolotl tank? It is rated slightly higher maximum capacity but I can always turn the flow down. If this is not a good idea please let me know. If it is not, please give a couple suggestions. I am thinking that it is a good filter and was planning on making a spray bar to attach to the fluval to give the tank less current. Please let me know any additional suggestions! Second, I was wondering if creating a mesh top/hood with an attached cooling fan would be a good idea? Third, will adding live plants beneficial or detrimental to the axolotls? If beneficial which plants are best? Lastly, approx how many axies can I house in my 30 gallon tank? I am brand new in this hobby and would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you so much,
Dillan
*ps feel free to PM me anytime

Hi, Sorry I am a newby myself and only know the answer to one of your questions and that is how many axolotl's can live in a 30 gallon tank?. the recomended is 10 gallons of water per adult axolotl so i would say 3 adult axolotls would be OK, dont forget to add some logs, caves and hiding places as my love moushing about under them.
I hope i have helped a bit :)
good luck on your journey with these fantastic animals.

-30 gallons ~ 3 axolotls

-The filter you describe should be fine, especially if you already know about reducing the current.

-plants: java fern & moss, anubis nana, red dwarf lillies, several more i can't recall atm.

Thats what I was thinking about 3. Thank you for the help!

So you think the filter will be sufficient? and thank you for the additional info on the plants.
Thank you both for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back